20 Platinum 3.0 Rear end drivetrain deceleration noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20 Platinum 3.0 Rear end drivetrain deceleration noise

GKoenig

Reaction score
City, State
North Richland Hills
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Our 20 Exploder Platinum 3.0EB with 35k miles is exhibiting a rear drivetrain "wirring" noise in the cabin. It was most noticeable when decelerating from 70 to 60 mph and then would go silent, after 3 weeks it is getting worse and can be heard down to 40mph. It only happens during deceleration, instantly disappears with the slightest of acceleration.

It could be rear diff, driveshaft, axles, wheel bearings etc. I do not think it is the trans at this point.

Local dealership cant look at it till October. I will find a different dealer in DFW that can take it sooner.

I will report back with findings.

BTW - we do have the 2 -bolt rear crossmember vs one bolt.

Whirring…​

A “whirring” noise while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload. This condition is typically always diagnosed as a bad ring and Pinion gear.

October! That's nuts. They should just close if they're going to provide service like that. I would contact Ford and complain.

Local dealership cant look at it till October. I will find a different dealer in DFW that can take it sooner.

I will report back with findings.

BTW - we do have the 2 -bolt rear crossmember vs one bolt.

....................................​

You can take it to any other Ford or Lincoln dealerships.

Peter

October! That's nuts. They should just close if they're going to provide service like that. I would contact Ford and complain.
It could be that they are booked up until then so closing wouldn't be the solution. I do find that difficult to understand though.

Peter

Back