• Register Today It's free!

200-250hp possible?

Kinserin

Reaction score
City, State
Coaldale, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Im just curious if its possible to get 200-250hp out of the 4.0 (1991 Ex) without getting a super charger. I've heard that you can get 250ish by porting and polishing the heads, headers, exhaust, cam, and pistons from a SOHC 4.0. Anyone else hear anything like this?

I could just build up my 302 and put it in, but I like how light the 4.0 is, and then I wouldnt have to deal with the actual conversion on my DD. If I can get 250hp or even 200ish then I'd be happy. Stock is what, 150ish? Or even less?

I havent looked at a chip yet, only headers & exhaust (mainly because my exhaust is pooched) as well as a cam. I'm sort of planning on buying my parts from Summit just so I can get most of everything from the same place.

Pacesetter Headers
Dynomax Exhaust Or this Flow Master Im not really sure yet.. I was told I shouldnt get a flowmaster exhaust unless I had a v8? /shrug
410 Comp Cams Camshaft

Thats all I've thought about so far.. I was also thinking about getting a bigger TB if its possible for the 4.0 OHV.

Anyone else build up their first gen 4.0 OHV? I've seen the build threads for the SOHC, but well, that isnt my engine :(

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the longerish post!

Yep, but not cheap.

This site had some really good info but a server crash wiped them out I think. Should still be a starting point though?
http://www.8secsplash.net/

Back