2000 4.0 OHV Manual Transmission Adventures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 4.0 OHV Manual Transmission Adventures

jawknee99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer sport ohv m
So lets backtrack about a couple of months back. Im driving back home from work when all of a sudden i start hearing a loud sound coming from my transmission. It sounded more like a bad bearing or something i made it home safely however I did notice that every time i pressed the clutch or got it to fourth gear the noise would stop. After going under to take a quick peak at the clutch slave cylinder i did notice the protective boot was ripped up. Ok not bad but then i started noticing all the other things ive been putting off for the longest time now.. so here i go time to replace almost every gasket from the engine,spark plugs, wires the whole enchilada and while im at it lets pull down that transmission and see whats really going on and if that isnt fun lets replace the clutch and the rear main seal im already doing all this right?
well everything went smothly all the parts were due for replacement finally putting everything back together and finally i get to the tranny take the top cover and see the gears that are making that noise first pic is of the gears that are bad second is of my transmission the last is of the replacement i found on offerup they look a bit different... not sure if its interchangeable the guy says its from a 98 ranger . My transimision code is m on the door...if that helps.
so now i got two options get a tranny from a dismantling place or have it rebuilt at a shop. decisions decisions ... anyway anyone care to shine some light on all these transmisson varients m5od-r1, m5od-r1 hd, m5od-r2

20221017_180753[1].jpg 20220809_190839[1].jpg Screenshot_20221017-211941_OfferUp[1].jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The m5od-r1 comes on the 4.0 ohv, as well as the 3.0 and 2.3 rangers but possibly with a different bolt pattern, the m5od-r1hd comes on the 4.0 sohc and has one more bellhousing bolt hole than the r1. The m5od-r2 comes on 5.0 engines I believe.

The m5od-r1 comes on the 4.0 ohv, as well as the 3.0 and 2.3 rangers but possibly with a different bolt pattern, the m5od-r1hd comes on the 4.0 sohc and has one more bellhousing bolt hole than the r1. The m5od-r2 comes on 5.0 engines I believe.
this is right!!!

since you have an OHV get the r1hd since its stronger iirc, and then get the sohc pressure plate and flywheel and clutch iirc.
i do believe the 2.3 rangers had a toyo koygo trans though, but i may be mixing it up.

this is right!!!

since you have an OHV get the r1hd since its stronger iirc, and then get the sohc pressure plate and flywheel and clutch iirc.
i do believe the 2.3 rangers had a toyo koygo trans though, but i may be mixing it up.
The TK5 was used up to around 87, you could find it behind the 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

The TK5 was used up to around 87, you could find it behind the 4 and 6 cylinder engines.
then thats what im thinking of. after that they went solely to mazda trans then?

then thats what im thinking of. after that they went solely to mazda trans then?
The Explorer was solely Mazda. For the Ranger the Mitsubishi FM146 was an option for a few years after the TK5 was retired.

The Explorer was solely Mazda. For the Ranger the Mitsubishi FM146 was an option for a few years after the TK5 was retired.
:scratch: interesting!

okay okay. so far finding the m5od-r1hd is a mission itself. i will have to make various trips to junkyards and play the waiting game for now. Does anyone know if having the m5od-r1hd will make a good tranny for a 4x4 conversion? or are there any 4x4 conversion type of kits?

okay okay. so far finding the m5od-r1hd is a mission itself. i will have to make various trips to junkyards and play the waiting game for now. Does anyone know if having the m5od-r1hd will make a good tranny for a 4x4 conversion? or are there any 4x4 conversion type of kits?
if you plan on wheeling, the hd is definitely a better trans for you. usually the only thing that swaps is the tail housing.

4x4 was a factory option for this transmission. Check car-part.com for yards that have them, easy to find. 2001-10 ford ranger 4.0 will have what you desire.

Does anyone know if having the m5od-r1hd will make a good tranny for a 4x4 conversion? or are there any 4x4 conversion type of kits?
The HD came in a 4x4 version, just like the non HD version. I have one sitting here, I’ll give it to you if you want to come get it. ;)
Here’s a link on Ranger trans ID Ford Ranger Manual Transmissions at The Ranger Station you can see what came in what years behind which engines.
Here’s a thread on swapping in an HD How to replace a M5OD-R1 with a M5OD-R1HD
If you have a good tranny shop near you, get a quote on fixing what you got. Maybe it’s less than you think.

Back