2000 Explorer axle seal leaking, how to replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer axle seal leaking, how to replace?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
My wife's explorer (2000( 5.0 has a left rear axle seal leak...part is 6.00$, shop wants 155$ to change. :mad: HAVE to change, it's slinging gear fluid on the brakes/rotor.

I was going to just do it myself...and then got intimidated after I looked in the Haynes manual.

I have to get into the differential because it's a C-clip design, and this is how you release the axle (to get to that outer seal) to slide it out, right?

I got a little skeptical when the manual mentioned the possibility of the pinion gear FALLING out. Oh, that'd be JUST how my luck goes!!!

Maybe you can encourage me?

Thanks as always!!! Anthony

It's not that difficult... Jack it up and support it by the frame if possible. (letting the axle droop provides more room to work) Loosen the fill plug on the diff housing. (It's better to discover that you can't refill it before you drain it... If you have issues removing the plug, there are a number of methods...) Remove the wheel and brake caliper. Manually adjust the parking brake through the plug in the inside of the backing plate to loosen it up. Remove the diff cover and drain the fluid. Remove the cross-pin retaining bolt, then slide the cross pin out of the carrier. Push the offending axle IN, remove the c-clip from the end of the axle, then slide the whole axle shaft out of the housing. Use a seal puller to remove the seal, and a brass punch and hammer (or better yet a seal installer) to install the new seal. Reverse the process, making sure to refill the diff with fluid.

Shouldn't take more than a few hours.

:)

-Joe

Pinion gear WON'T fall out. Can't happen if you don't remove the nut on the front of the pinion (which you don't have to do for this job). A side gear might come out, but it just slides back in.

This isn't a tough job. Couple hours and it's done. If you don't have a seal installer, a socket of the appropriate size will also do the trick. Make sure you grease/oil up the seal before installing the axle so you don't accidentally tear the new seal. Coat the contact lip liberally with gear oil and you should be fine.

Back