2000 Explorer - "O/D Off" Light Blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer - "O/D Off" Light Blinking

PxPx

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
So, I am driving to the store yesterday afternoon and the "O/D Off" starts blinking (I tried to push the button to turn the light but, didnt work).....I pulled into the nearest parking lot and checked the transmission fluid had to just a tiny bit (dont know why I checked trans fluid first thing....it was the first thing that popped into my head). Needless to say, light still blinking! Then I just shut the Explorer off and looked in manual. It said something to effect
of, if that light starts blinking and doesnt stop to get it to a shop asap. The manual doesnt give much help. Its kinda vague and basic.
My question(s) is/are: What could be going wrong to cause the "O/D Off" light to blink? Do I need to park my Explorer and not drive it at all til I can get it to my repair shop? Is there anything I could be doing that would at least give me some kinda insight as to what is going on (incase I cant get into the shop for a few days or so)?
What the "O/D Off" light is doing today: It will start blinking (like yesterday) and do so for a few minutes, then stop for a few min....then repeat the blinking/not blinking routine over and over.
What do I do!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

means you have a trans issue.

Is it most likely ok to drive for time being or no?

After I posted the original message, I found some old posts from '10....they were talkin about a TCC or something like that.

what are the symptoms? can you get the codes read at the auto parts store? it could be minor, it could be major

@PxPx ......Is there anything I could be doing that would at least give me some kinda insight as to what is going on......
Yes, there is. First, I assume since you mentioned none, there were/are no unusual noises present. "TCC" is a good start, as mentioned. Torque Converter Clutch malfunction causes the O/D OFF light to flash. First we need to know if the light begins flashing
right away when you start up and get moving, or does it take until you get up to cruising speed? If the latter, then it IS likely the TCC culprit. You can check that easily yourself. Bring vehicle up to speed normally, at about 50mph all the shifts should have been completed, and the TCC engaged. Holding vehicle speed steady, flat road, no hills, VERY SLIGHTLY increase gas pedal pressure. If TCC engaged, tachometer will remain steady. If tachometer immediately increases reading, the TCC is NOT engaged. If that's what you see, you've found the basic cause for concern.

Code(s) would help much. Causes for TCC not operational: Fuse feeding power to TCC Solenoid blown (unlikely, but easy to check), TCC Solenoid failed, TCC itself "mechanically or hydraulically challenged", problem in wiring to Solenoid.

Finally, IF the TCC simply is not working, and no noise is evident, yes, you can drive the vehicle without an operational Torque Converter Clutch basically forever. The disadvantage is 3% to 5% more fuel consumed, and that damned light driving you crazy. imp

So, I am driving to the store yesterday afternoon and the "O/D Off" starts blinking (I tried to push the button to turn the light but, didnt work).....I pulled into the nearest parking lot and checked the transmission fluid had to just a tiny bit (dont know why I checked trans fluid first thing....it was the first thing that popped into my head). Needless to say, light still blinking! Then I just shut the Explorer off and looked in manual. It said something to effect
of, if that light starts blinking and doesnt stop to get it to a shop asap. The manual doesnt give much help. Its kinda vague and basic.
My question(s) is/are: What could be going wrong to cause the "O/D Off" light to blink? Do I need to park my Explorer and not drive it at all til I can get it to my repair shop? Is there anything I could be doing that would at least give me some kinda insight as to what is going on (incase I cant get into the shop for a few days or so)?
What the "O/D Off" light is doing today: It will start blinking (like yesterday) and do so for a few minutes, then stop for a few min....then repeat the blinking/not blinking routine over and over.
What do I do!!!
When I bought my explorer the light was blinking it shifted fine I drove it for five years one day third gear started to slip so the trans was rebuilt .. no more blinking light

@PxPx ......Is there anything I could be doing that would at least give me some kinda insight as to what is going on......
Yes, there is. First, I assume since you mentioned none, there were/are no unusual noises present. "TCC" is a good start, as mentioned. Torque Converter Clutch malfunction causes the O/D OFF light to flash. First we need to know if the light begins flashing
right away when you start up and get moving, or does it take until you get up to cruising speed? If the latter, then it IS likely the TCC culprit. You can check that easily yourself. Bring vehicle up to speed normally, at about 50mph all the shifts should have been completed, and the TCC engaged. Holding vehicle speed steady, flat road, no hills, VERY SLIGHTLY increase gas pedal pressure. If TCC engaged, tachometer will remain steady. If tachometer immediately increases reading, the TCC is NOT engaged. If that's what you see, you've found the basic cause for concern.

Code(s) would help much. Causes for TCC not operational: Fuse feeding power to TCC Solenoid blown (unlikely, but easy to check), TCC Solenoid failed, TCC itself "mechanically or hydraulically challenged", problem in wiring to Solenoid.

Finally, IF the TCC simply is not working, and no noise is evident, yes, you can drive the vehicle without an operational Torque Converter Clutch basically forever. The disadvantage is 3% to 5% more fuel consumed, and that damned light driving you crazy. imp

IMP, I am having this exact same issue on my 2000 now. Tranny is a 5R55E. Based on what you said above, it appears to be the TCC solenoid. How hard is it to swap out? Mine only happens when I start driving and usually in the morning when cold. If I stop and shut off and restart, it goes away and shifts normally. It's driving me nuts. I've also heard it could be the valve body gasket. Thoughts?
THanks
Mize

IMP, I am having this exact same issue on my 2000 now. Tranny is a 5R55E. Based on what you said above, it appears to be the TCC solenoid. How hard is it to swap out? Mine only happens when I start driving and usually in the morning when cold. If I stop and shut off and restart, it goes away and shifts normally. It's driving me nuts. I've also heard it could be the valve body gasket. Thoughts?
THanks
Mize
@mizestang
Are you able to follow my suggestion on watching the tachometer? If it makes sense, you can get a definite answer that the flashing light is TCC related, not something else. Flashing light is used as a warning for many other codes as well. In my case, there was a code related to failed TCC Solenoid. Replacing the Solenoid fixed it. Mine is a 5R55S, 2004. It's Solenoids, 8 of them, cannot be individually replaced, they're serviced as a module, pre-assembled. I don't know about 5R55E, but know the earlier designs had individually replaceable Solenoids, such as in the 4R55E. @JK080 can tell us for sure!

"Mine only happens when I start driving and usually in the morning when cold. If I stop and shut off and restart, it goes away and shifts normally." What you say here implies the flashing light is NOT TCC caused, because TCC engagement is held off until the transmission fluid reaches a pre-determined temperature, which may take 5 miles of driven distance, or more, depending on outside temperature. If you're saying the flashing begins pretty soon after starting up, it is not the TCC at fault. More evidence supporting that is the fact that it goes away. There will be a code generated. Getting and interpreting that code or codes is imperative.

Regarding replacement of Solenoids, such work is fairly routine for someone having mechanical repair experience. I am not familiar enough with valve body gasket failures to comment on that aspect. Get the code. imp

My 2000 was doing the same thing! The od off light was blinking and couldnt do anything with button on shifter handle. Was downshifting and upshifting almost at the same time! Thought the tranny went for sure! Crawled around underneath and happened to wiggle ground strap from frame to body and it dissinigrated in my fingers! checked ground from wiper motor down to trans area and that was broken also! The remains of that cable was also green and brittle! Temporarily made ground wires from copper electrical wire.
No blinking light now and drives like normal, drove about 100 miles around home with only one issue, 2 times the od off light came on but didnt blink. Pushed button on shifter and light went off and drove normally. Before I changed the ground cables I had the parts house scan it and it said PO-715 trans error. Havent been to town to have it checked after that.

Also, A couple guys asked to see a pic of my little hotrod pinto, Where and how do I do that? Thanks

@mizestang
Are you able to follow my suggestion on watching the tachometer? If it makes sense, you can get a definite answer that the flashing light is TCC related, not something else. Flashing light is used as a warning for many other codes as well. In my case, there was a code related to failed TCC Solenoid. Replacing the Solenoid fixed it. Mine is a 5R55S, 2004. It's Solenoids, 8 of them, cannot be individually replaced, they're serviced as a module, pre-assembled. I don't know about 5R55E, but know the earlier designs had individually replaceable Solenoids, such as in the 4R55E. @JK080 can tell us for sure!

"Mine only happens when I start driving and usually in the morning when cold. If I stop and shut off and restart, it goes away and shifts normally." What you say here implies the flashing light is NOT TCC caused, because TCC engagement is held off until the transmission fluid reaches a pre-determined temperature, which may take 5 miles of driven distance, or more, depending on outside temperature. If you're saying the flashing begins pretty soon after starting up, it is not the TCC at fault. More evidence supporting that is the fact that it goes away. There will be a code generated. Getting and interpreting that code or codes is imperative.

Regarding replacement of Solenoids, such work is fairly routine for someone having mechanical repair experience. I am not familiar enough with valve body gasket failures to comment on that aspect. Get the code. imp

No need to do anything until he gets the codes. Could be the converter clutch.

I'm not seeing a transmission code...just getting the P171, 174 codes for banks being lean and this is after I swapped the dam gaskets. This truck is driving me nuts. I'll try running again. The O'rielly code reader was acting funny.
@imp
"Are you able to follow my suggestion on watching the tachometer? If it makes sense, you can get a definite answer that the flashing light is TCC related, not something else"

Yes, the tach jumps when i slightly touch the gas.

Most cheap scanners wont read transmission codes especially on Fords, if the light is flashing then there has to be a code for the transmission. You may have to find a shop that has a better scanner like a transmission shop.

Both lean codes indicates a vacuum or a air leak into the intake, try to spray brake cleaner around the intake and vacuum lines, if the idle changes then you may have a leak in that area.

James, you hit it. P0744 Torque Converter Clutch Circut Intermittent is what I'm getting.

Possible Causes:
Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection
Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid

I suppose changing the fluid would be the cheapest option here. Thoughts?

Most of the time I have found that replacing the TCC solenoid will take care of that code, I would drop the pan and replace the solenoid, fluid and filter.

The part number should be for the solenoid is XL2Z 7G136 AA, I would conform that with the parts guy...

5R55E Solenoids.JPG

Thank you for the help!:)

Back