2000 explorer stalls when put in gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer stalls when put in gear

darren hutchinson

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xlt
hi
yesterday all of a sudden my 2000 ford explorer xlt started stalling when i put in reverse or drive. it has never done this before and i was after some advise to what the issue may be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check engine light coming on, any codes set? I'd hook up a code reader that can show live data, suspecting a vac leak. Will the engine rev well if you give it gas in park?

Like j c said
Codes
Sounds like a dirty iac valve

Possible torque converter lockup servo stuck closed.

^That symptom is generally a reverse only stall from what I've seen. My bet is on a sticky IAC.

I'd also clean the throttle body where the throttle plate meets the housing. Carbon buildup there can cause stalling problems...

hi
yesterday all of a sudden my 2000 ford explorer xlt started stalling when i put in reverse or drive. it has never done this before and i was after some advise to what the issue may be.

My wife's 99 EB just started doing the same thing... Ford says...
Possible torque converter lockup servo stuck closed.

Just under the oil pan

hi
I had the same problem with my old 98, 1998 Mountaineer stalling

My trans guy found it and fixed it,without taking out the trans.

My trans guy found it and fixed it,without taking out the trans.

Anyone know of a good trans guy in Indy?

My 96 EB was doing the same thing when I took delivery of it. Had a mechanic buddy kept saying I had blown out the fuel pressure regulator. Needless to say he put his scanner on it and it was not what he said. it ended up being a 16.00 part at napa called Coolant Temp Sensor that is a plug type sensor that screws into the intake. Sure enough that was about 3 months ago and it has been running fine since sensor was replaced. Thought for theory it is worth checking into only cause I too thought it was the trans locking up in mine as well.

Back