2000 explorer V6 4.0 ohv interference or freewheeling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer V6 4.0 ohv interference or freewheeling

spokswin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer 4.0 ohv
First post ever. This forum has been very helpful in the past.

I have searched and searched, but can not get a confirmation on this. I see that the SOHC is interference, but I see nothing about the ohv. My mechanic just convinced me to replace the timing chain @ 125,000 since my waterpump needed replacing. 1400 mi later, it broke. Defective. If it is not interference, I may be okay. If not, I may have some valve/piston issues.

Can someone confirm that it is freewheeling?

First post ever. This forum has been very helpful in the past.

I have searched and searched, but can not get a confirmation on this. I see that the SOHC is interference, but I see nothing about the ohv. My mechanic just convinced me to replace the timing chain @ 125,000 since my waterpump needed replacing. 1400 mi later, it broke. Defective. If it is not interference, I may be okay. If not, I may have some valve/piston issues.

Can someone confirm that it is freewheeling?

I've had good luck looking this kind of information up on the Gates belts website. Unfortunately, I don't have the link - sorry. Good luck.

Got it back and no damage... That I can tell for now. Anyway, there is no piston/valve meeting so I can confirm that the OHV is NOT interference.

I'm a little late on this one, but:

4.0l OHV.... NON-interference

4.0l SOHC.... Interference.

Back