2000 F150 - swap OEM cassette to OEM CD? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 F150 - swap OEM cassette to OEM CD?

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
I am attempting to swap an OEM cassette to OEM cd player in a 2000 F150.

Wiring is a direct swap, and appears to function correctly.

The mounting is another story. The rear of the cassette unit is shaped different than the CD unit. Back from the top of the cassette unit, the rear of the unit goes back a few inches, drops down a few inches at a 45 degree angle, then goes straight back. The CD unit is shaped like a typical stereo head unit.

Inside the F150 dash, the opening follows the top of the cassette shape, so the CD player does not simply slide right in. My ex-Ford mechanic neighbor told me to trim out the plastic dash structure that is in the way. Simple enough.

Next problem is the rear support of the radio. The cassette and CD players have totally different rear supports. I don't think you can swap one support for the other. I am not sure if I should put the CD player in without rear support, since the vehicle sees about a mile of mild offroad driving daily.

Any ideas or tips...?

Did the CD unit come from a same year truck as it going into?:scratch:

seems to me if they close in production years then they should swap with each other without too many problems

Unfortunately, it is highly doubtful.

I am unsure on the year of the radio.

Back