2000 Ford Explorer Sport with 17 X 7.5 Explorer xlt wheels ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ford Explorer Sport with 17 X 7.5 Explorer xlt wheels ??

I am looking for information as to the possibility of installing 17 x 7.5 factory wheels off an 2003 Explorer XLT on to my 2000 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door. I have purchased a single 17 X 7.5 wheel off ebay to test fit. THe good news is that the bolt pattern at 43 -44 mm is compatible with the 4.5 " bolt pattern of the factory 16 X 7 on my 2000 sport. It seems to bolt right up - I have tried this. However- the larger overall diameter of the 17 " wheel puts it very close to the upper A-arm suspension and ball joint. Now- this is a bare wheel- no tire is mounted. Seeing that the tread width of the recommended 245- 70r -17 tire is approximately 9- 10 inches and the the close proximity of the rim to the upper A-arm ball joint & suspension- I am concerned about possible interference or lack of fit due to tire width on the 2000 Sport. Also- the tire that would actually be preferred for fitment is 255-65R- 17 or 265-65R- 17 wich is definitley a 10" tread width on a 7.5" -8.0 " rim width. I have consulted a Hollander interchange manual as well- the 2002 and up 17 X 7.5 wheels are not listed as compatible with the 2000-2003 Sport or Sport trac. HAs anyone tried this swap? And if so- have you been successfull with the fit and lack of interference ? This seems to be a natural if the swap works but if not- well it's a good idea in theory. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks.

NOte:- Talked to some service techs and partsman that I know & trust here at the local Ford delaership. None of them could say if this works as they had never seen it done- but all agreed its a great idea - if it works.

It will bolt up ok but the backspacing is different. You will need to run spacers to make them look decent otherwise they will be sunken into the wheel wells.

Thanks 03ExplorerSPT- I figured that would be the only way I could get a bigger wheel on to the existing A-arm suspension .But- thats ok- now I know what needs to be done. Thank you for your reply. I may look at some aftermarket wheels too. Thanks again.

I have 03 sport XLT wheels on my 95 XLT... only thing you have to worry about is tire rubbing at full lock of the steering wheel with 245/65/17 tires.... Im about to purchase some 1 3/4" wheel adapters so I can fit my new 265/70/R17 tires... here is a pic with my wheels on...

e037a9bf.jpg

p.s. your handling will be increased quite nicely! :)

Back