2000 Limited seats into a 1996 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Limited seats into a 1996 XLT

Spartan

Reaction score
City, State
Sun Prairie WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT, 5.0 2WD
ALRIGHT

I have searched and searched, but have found NO answer to my question.

My Explorer is a 1996 XLT, 5.0. It had the dual power seats, with the adjustable bolsters, power lumbar, and slide out thigh support. They are beat to hell. I want to swap a set of 2000 Limited leather seats into my truck.

The seats have heaters and memory function. i do not care to have the memory function or the heaters hooked up. My connection under the seat in the 96 is a grey, two wire hook up (power and ground). What i need to know, is CAN i just hook up power and ground to these seats and make them function? If so, how do i hook this up? Ive read through all the swap threads i can, and still do not know if this is possible.

On a side note, i have a set of seats (just seats, not tracks) out of a limited. The connectors on the seat side are all different, with the exception of the large connector from the seat switch (plugs into the 96 harness). I can hook up the 96 harness to the main switch on the limited seat, and then the 96 harness back to the floor. The seat motors will run when the switches are moved, but the seat track itself does NOT move. The motors whirr, and the seat track doesn't move. This is VERY strange, since the tracks have never ONCE failed to move when the switches were actuated, up to and including when i moved them to get at the bolts holding them to the floor.

Any ideas or direction here?

HELP! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Spartan,

I know it's been a long time, but have you ever managed to hook up the Limited seats?

I am in the same shoes now, I have a set of heated Limited leather seats which I would like to install to my '97 - which has the 2 wires power connector only.

Thanks for the answer in advance,

Hey!

Unfortunately, the limited seats and the wiring for them was too big of a hassle. Even adapting the 96 power tracks to the seats was a royal pain in the ass. I ended up finding a replacement set of seats in leather for the 96 in the same style as my old cloth seats. I ended up using one of the Limited seats for a computer chair in my office, and the other is still out in the garage collecting dust.

To be honest, it would be easier to get a set of aftermarket heating pads and install them in the backs/bottoms of the 96/97 seats, and then run power and ground independently to JUST the heaters (with a switch of course) . I'm still planning on doing that.

This is not the answer I wanted to hear :(
Thanks anyways!

The heater portion of the wiring is a separate circuit, power and ground. So that you can use or not by adding an extra power wire, the lightblue/white wire I believe it is, 20amp fused.

The memory seat feature is separate from the main six motor wires I think, it's been since 2006 that I installed 93 Limited seats into my 99 Limited. There should be two main power and ground wires for the seat tracks. The Limited seats simply have a larger wiring connector, with about 12 wires in it. You should be able to ignore the memory seat wires(nine maybe(6-7 tiny and one medium for power to the memory seat module).

Meaning you will not use the wiring under the memory seat itself, reuse the power seat wires from your old seat. That harness should just about plug into the motors, controls, and floor harness without big issues.

wow, this sounds really promising, I will get back with the results.

Thanks a lot!

So I just did what HCDW6212R suggested and reused the wiring harness from the old seats. Works like a charm! Thanks a lot!

Now I just have to connect the heater part...need to find out which wires are ground and positive and then connect them.

One more thing, I had to reuse the lumbar pump too, because the newer one was mounted the opposite way (could not change the bracket on it) and the wiring was not long enough for this setup.

So I just did what HCDW6212R suggested and reused the wiring harness from the old seats. Works like a charm! Thanks a lot!

Now I just have to connect the heater part...need to find out which wires are ground and positive and then connect them.

Well done. The heater power wire is the light blue one with a white stripe, it has a separate 20 amp fuse for it.

Back