2000 Mountaineer speedometer issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mountaineer speedometer issues

Bladik

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello all, I have just recently purchased a 2000 Mountaineer with the 5.0. I have noticed that my speedometer reads 10 mph lower than what I'm actually going. Ex: (I'm moving the same speed with traffic at 50 mph but the speedo shows 40 mph). Also, it will engage overdrive and lock the torque converter when the speedometer hits 30. Which doesn't seem right, it's only supposed to shift then at like 40 mph. (That's what my previous 5.0 explorer did at least). No abs light or anything else are on the dash. Something else to note, my neighborhood has a thin sheet of ice and I tested the abs, but didn't feel the brake pedal pulsate or anything, I just slid. So I'm not sure if I have some faulty wheel sensors or what. Thank you for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the ABS light come on when you first turn the key on, and it does the bulb check?

The abs nor the check engine light come on when I turn the key. It runs perfect though. Maybe the lights are burnt out? The obd2 scan port doesn’t work either, but the cigarette lighter fuse is blown, so I will have to replace it tomorrow when I get a fuse, and I will see if that fixed the obd2 port.

Your bulbs are burnt out. A generic scanner won’t pull the ABS codes.

The bulbs were indeed burnt out. I got a P0500, vehicle speed sensor a. That’s probably what’s causing my speed issue. Sadly, I have 5 abs codes. C1155, C1233, C1145, C1230, and C1095.

Back