2000 Ranger 3.0 Trouble installing new Serpentine Belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Ranger 3.0 Trouble installing new Serpentine Belt

johann

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Ranger
I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 engine. I got off the old belt off easily but can't get the new belt on. I even tried to putting on the old belt thinking I had the wrong new belt. Can't quite make it fit under the top idler pulley. Pretty sure I got the right belt and correct routing.

Any trick to this I'm missing.

Make sure you are routing it correctly (check the diagram) and that the belt is fitting into the grooves on all the pullies. If it doesn't sit down in the grooves then you may not have enough slack.

Double check you have the correct belt for your application - check part numbers and cross reference, make sure you're not putting a non-AC belt on a vehicle with air conditioning (or vice versa).

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I have the correct routing, belt and the belt in the groves. The belt matches up in size with the old one. All I need is about 1/4 inch more slack to get it under the idler pulley (top of engine). Was thinking there must be a trick to this or a tool? The tension pulley is as far as it can go. Never had this problem with any other vehicle. I'll keep trying.

Update: Got it, with a little help from a friend. Here's the trick we figured out. Belt was just a tad too tight to work under the idler pulley. We put a rag on top of the AC pulley, compressed the tension pulley and stuck the belt under the idler pulley, while pulling up on belt with the rag to get it on the AC pulley. It worked.

I have 3 questions.

1. Is this belt a tad too small to fit, shouldn't it slip on better? Perhaps it's the brand?

2. Is it possible the tensioner pulley doesn't retract enough?

3. Anyone else have this problem?

Back