Brand new serpentine belt has started squeaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brand new serpentine belt has started squeaking

rhinodep

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I know what you're thinking already. This is some noob who thinks his belt is squeaking when really one of his components is. That's not it, though. Without the belt, the noise disappears.

The full story: a couple months ago, the belt tensioner went bad really fast on my '97 V8 AWD Ex. I replaced it, but the drive belt seemed fine, so I reused it.

Several days ago, my belt started chirping when it was cold. I figured it must have been weakened back when the tensioner puked, so I replaced it. It was in SORRY shape, with a lot of big lateral splits. As soon as I popped on the new belt, everything was fine.

Now, less than two weeks later, the new belt is chirping like a horny chickadee, probably worse than the old one did. Like I said, as soon as I take the belt off, the noise disappears. I suspected the idler went bad, but all components hand-turn as they should. The new belt doesn't LOOK bad yet.

I've read several threads, including the sticky, but can't find a solution for this. Anybody got any bright ideas? This noob would appreciate them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be the waterpump is squealing like a stuck pig. Typical Ford if that is the noise. You could try belt dressing on the belt to see if that helps it any. Maybe even check the idler pulley, see if thats gone now.

One little spot of oil will cause that some times. One demanding pulley will have a spot of burnt grease. You will see it!

Just clean it off w/old tooth brush.

did you check all the pulleys for any play? Shake them with some force? You mentioned they turn ok but they could have some loose bearings.

Spray some WD-40 or PB Blaster at the A/C pulley....see if that changes the noise.

Ryan

If you are spraying stuff why not use belt dressing? You don't need any thing though if the belt drive is clean.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will be trying them out in the AM...

Back