• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport maintenance

Ryo

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi guys newbie here. I just bought a 2001 Explorer Sport with 92k miles for $1800. I don’t see a specific section for 01-03 sports so I’m posting in the sport trac section since I believe they are the most similar. This is my first Explorer and I’m looking for some advice. I don’t have any records for the truck and want to keep it running for a long time. Should I change/flush transmission fluid? Should I flush radiator? Anything else I should do as preventative maintenance? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2-dr and 4-dr Explorer's share most of the same parts and systems. Hence no need for a separate Sport sub-forum.

Change all fluids and filters. Check brakes, ball joints and sway bar end-links & bushings. Check rear metal brake lines for rust.

If you have the 4.0L SOHC engine - Good luck. They notorious for timing chain problems.

BTW - This is the Sport Trac sub-forum. Though many things are the same, some things are very different. If you have a Sport you might do better posting in the regular Explorer forum.

Thanks I’ll probably change all fluids, filters, plugs and wires. The sport and sport trac only came with the 4L so I posted in here thinking they would have the most similarities, the front ends are identical. What happens with the timing chain, is there anything that can done to prevent a problem? Thanks

The Sport, Sport Trac and the 4-door Explorers all use the same basic front suspension parts, all three models were available with the SOHC V6 (which would have had the same weaker 5R55 transmission) but the 4-door could be had with the 5.0L V8 in 2WD or AWD using the more reliable 4R70W trans.

There are many things that are unique to the Sport Trac, so it's best not to think that everything is interchangeable between the 2-door and ST. It strikes me odd that everything up to the ST's rear doors isn't the same between the Sport and ST, but I learned the hard way they are not. If you order parts from RockAuto you'll notice that they ask if you're buying parts for an Explorer, Sport or Sport Trac.

I don't know when the OHV V6 was discontinued, 2000 maybe? The SOHC V6 has had and continued to have had problems with the timing chain components breaking. Unfortunately when this happens it eventually leads to catastrophic engine failure. Even if repairs are made early the cost of making the repairs is very labor intensive are requires engine removal to access the passenger side chain components (repair costs typically exceed $2000). You'll know when your TC's are failing when you hear the infamous "4.0L SOHC timing chain death rattle" (your engine starts sounding like you have a diesel). It's not a matter of if this will happen to your engine, but when. There are many threads on this subject. I suggest you do your research to know what to listen for.

Thanks for the info. I see a lot of high mileage explorers, is there a usual mileage this happens at? My sport has the 5 speed Auto, when does that usually crap out? Maybe I should’nt keep this explorer long.

I think a lot of it has to do with maintenance and how gently the vehicle has been driven, but the timing chain problems can begin at as little as 75,000 miles. The transmission maybe 200,000 miles, but they might go before or after that mileage. It just depends. If the vehicle was driven hard and/or used for towing it can fail sooner.

My '97 SOHC/5R55, which I purchased with a rebuilt engine (and perhaps a rebuilt trans) I sold it last spring with 267,000 miles. It had no problems with the engine or trans and is still on the road as far as I know.

My advice is always use a full synthetic 5W30 engine oil and an oil filter with a anti drain-back oil filter (Motorcraft or better) and drive it gently.

I've owned three 4.0L SOHC's (still have one) and I'll never buy another one. I think the engine finally discontinued production in 2010/2011. Just not a great design.

Thanks for the info. This is really just a bad weather truck for me so it won’t get driven that much and I’ll be sure not to beat on it too much. It’s a good idea to change trans fluid without knowing any prior history and it being 17 years old? Flush radiator? Thanks

Thanks for the info. This is really just a bad weather truck for me so it won’t get driven that much and I’ll be sure not to beat on it too much. It’s a good idea to change trans fluid without knowing any prior history and it being 17 years old? Flush radiator? Thanks

Never hurts to flush the cooling system, but there are no drain plugs on the block, so getting the system flushed and making sure you end up with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze can be a long drawn out process, maybe best done in the spring when there's no chance of freezing temps.

For the transmission, I'd just drop the pan, replace the filter and refill with 4.5-5 qts of Mercon V.

Yeah I’ll start with trans and oil change for now thanks

Back