2001 ford explorer sport suv differential fill plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 ford explorer sport suv differential fill plug

rm787

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello everyone,

I own a 2001 ford explorer sport suv that I recently purchased. The vehicle is a 2 wheel drive, powered from the rear wheels. Automatic transmission with a 6 cylinder motor.

I was changing the transmission fluid & filter earlier today, and while under the vehicle, I had wanted to check the differential fluid level. I do have a Hayes repair manual for the Ford Explorer, but it's not too helpful with certain things.
I have read some conflicting information on the internet about drain plugs and fill plugs on the rear differential, which is why I wanted to ask about it here.

After checking out the backside of rear differential bell housing, I came across one plug that could be removed. It's a plug that faces the front of the vehicle, and it's about halfway up the differential housing. It can be removed by inserting a 3/8 extension into it, and of course turning it with a 3/8 ratchet.

My question is, for those who are familiar with the 2001 ford explorer sport that has the 2 wheel drive...is there only one plug on the rear differential? I could not find any other plug besides the one I located. I have seen other discussions on the ford explorer where it has been mentioned that there are two plugs on rear differentials (a lower drain and an smaller plug above it for filling) but I only located one plug on the rear differential on my Ford Explorer. I was just curious since...if it is a fill plug...I thought it would have been positioned higher up the bell housing than at the mid-point of the differential?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's it, drop the cover to drain and fill till oil comes out that hole

thanks...I tried to take the differential drain plug off with a 3/8 extension fitted into the hole, but no luck. It won't budge, and when I try to turn it with force, it started to strip the hole, so I stopped. I turned it counter-clockwise, which I assume is the right way to take off the differential drain plug.

I wonder if I will have to use an impact driver to take it off? I'm not having any luck with a ratchet and the 3/8 extension.

Yes, it's right hand thread. Might be rusted in place, but more likely whoever worked on it before either overtightened or used permanent-type RTV. An impact wrench should help.
It goes without saying that you should not remove the cover and drain the oil before getting that plug off, or you will be stuck.

thanks...I tried to take the differential drain plug off with a 3/8 extension fitted into the hole, but no luck. It won't budge, and when I try to turn it with force, it started to strip the hole, so I stopped. I turned it counter-clockwise, which I assume is the right way to take off the differential drain plug.

I wonder if I will have to use an impact driver to take it off? I'm not having any luck with a ratchet and the 3/8 extension.

thanks...I was also reading the the use of a propane torch to heat the plug will work to unloosen the Loctite on the threads.

I had the same issue last year when replacing the gasket on my wifes rear diff. The plug wouldn't bug I hit it with a little heat to melt the loctite and it broke free. just be careful next to the gas tank.

Back