2001 ford Explorer sport trac won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 ford Explorer sport trac won't start

rd 1

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
help

A few day ago my 2001 sport trac stall while in motion. Attempted to restart but was unsuccessful. Check fuel pump, fuses and relay they all seem to be working. When the key is on the theft light flashes rapidly, fuel pump does not come on. Is it possible for the anti theft system to shut the power to the pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it will never start if the theft light is flashing rapidly.

Try a spare key if you have it.

or see the dealer.

If it doesn't start with a spare key, most likely it's the pickup coil/wiring for the anti-theft.

fast flash means un-authorised key...or something like that.

some people have encountered this by having other RFID devices on their keychain... i.e. fastpay chip devices, other RFID keys (2 keys on the keychain for the same/different cars)

Try the key all by itself too, this will eliminate the above mentioned situation.

when the key is on the only thing that flashes is the theft light. Have two set of keys and neither one of them will make it start. Does anybody know if the the anti theft system kills the power completely or will the engine turn but won't start.

just a thought but check you r harmonic balance and see if it came loose and took out you crank shaft position sensor. this happened on a 04 i had for a while died when going trough an intersection would not restart later it would stumble start but not for long towed it back and found the harmonic had separated and ate up the sensor.

how do i chec the hamonic balance and where is the shaft position sensor

how do i chec the hamonic balance and where is the shaft position sensor
A harmonic balancer (also called crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, or vibration damper) is a device connected to the crankshaft of an engine to reduce torsional vibration.

Here's a picture of one being pulled off. But I have know clue as to where the position sensor is. I would think to check if it is loose is to take off the serpentine belt and see if there is play in the crankshaft pulley.

Attachments

• crankshaftpulley.gif
    crankshaftpulley.gif
    136 KB · Views: 4,437

Please don't bother taking off the balancer/cps...
I just went out to my truck to check, put a non-chip key into the ignition, and turned.
results: theft light flashes fast, all systems seems to come up, but no crank (engine will not turn).

You mentioned that you tried both keys, and they didn't work. That eliminates a defective RFID chip in the keys, they both wouldn't have gone bad at the same time.

Most likely it's the pickup coil for the RFID transponder (in the steering column), you need to check the wiring, could also be the control module for the anti-theft.

Unless you know electronics it's going to be dealer service.

I don't have a service manual yet (on order), or maybe I would have told you where to look/check wiring.

Back