Sport Trac won't start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac won't start

daveyboy43

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 2001 Sport Trac from a friend. I know it has a tranny issue but he hasn't driven or even started the vehicle in months since the tranny started acting up. He charged his completely dead battery up and the vehicle has power, lights, etc. and seems to be cranking strong but it won't turn over. I hooked jumper cables up to my car but still no luck. For one split second it seemed like it was going to turn over but didn't and after that it would only crank like before. Pretty sure I heard fuel pump whe we first started this morning but now I don't think I hear it. Is the fuel pump shot and we it seemed like it was going to start for a second or two was that actually the fuel pump failing? Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. I was thinking the vehicle sitting so long caused some issue but now I'm not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Factory key? Sounds like u need a transmitter key maybe.

Check your fuses first, always start with the simple things first.

Factory key? Sounds like u need a transmitter key maybe.

I don't think the vehicle would even turn over if it doesn't recognize the key.

Check your fuses first, always start with the simple things first.

I don't think the vehicle would even turn over if it doesn't recognize the key.

It will turn over, but the pats disables the fuel system, not the starter. This is done so jumping the starter out still fails to start the motor...

SVT

ok is the theft light flashing? if it is then the key can be an issue or the module that controls it.

if the motor doesnt crank then the battery is the culprit

check the fuses first as there are fuses and relays that control the starter, fuel pump, ignition, etc.

The theft light is flashing. I notice it everytime I try to start it. Thought that was odd but didn't know if it was suppose to or not.

Anything I can try to get it started or am I looking at big money on this because it's going to involve the dealership?

starting fluid

Try a different ignition key. If he only has one key offer him $150 less since it may cost that to get a second key and program the PCM to recognize it.

You can disconnect the main intake tube from the throttle body, open the throttle plate and spray starting fluid into the intake manifold. The engine should start and run for a second or two. If it does then you know there is a fuel issue. It could be PATS, fuel pressure or bad fuel. If it doesn't start then you might have a bad crankshaft position sensor. Check for spark when cranking the starter. If no spark try disconnecting and reconnecting the crankshaft position sensor to clean the electrical contacts. Some members have had luck "tapping" the sensor.

Where's the sensor located? Also the light is not flashing as I thought. I think I was just trying to start it so many times I thought it was flashing but it comes on for 3 seconds and goes off. If the gas was bad would the smell be any different? Truck has sat for 6 to 8 months but I have to find out if gas was added or it's been sitting that long with this gas in it. I swear I heard the fuel pump yesterday when I first started playing around with truck but I know I'm not hearing it now. Took gas cap off and listened while wife turned key to on position. Might not be a good idea to buy this truck at this point.

If the theft light Is not flashing rapidly then its not a pats issue. Gas is a little old, but my truck started and ran on year and a half old gas, so I wouldn't worry about that. They the starting fluid trick in the intake, spray for 5 seconds then crank, or with a 2nd person spray while cranking. If it starts then its either a relay, fuse, inertia switch tripped or bad fuel pump....

SVT

I'll check those out, does it seem strange that I'm pretty sure I heard the fuel pump when I first was trying to get the truck started as I was intentionally listening for it as I had a car recently have the fuel pump go in it so I was really intent on hearing the sound but later on I know I wasn't hearing it. What are the other 2 relays for that are the same as the fuel pump as I switched one of them out to try and maybe that relay was bad and that's why I don't hear the pump, just a guess hear. Also can that inertia switch sometimes trip for no reason?

The relay and inertia switch possibilities, the inertia being easy to check, just push the button down. If you hear a click when you press it, it was tripped. The relay could have possibly stuck after the first cycle, or you could have swapped it for a bad one. Using starting fluid eliminates the guess of whether or not its getting fuel. If it starts on starting fluid, then you know that it is a fuel problem but most importantly you heard it run...

SVT

so have you solved the issue with your truck not starting. im kind of new but i think i might know whats wrong with it. there is a fuse on the bottom of the dash board on the front passenger side and then there a button on top of it and its a red button push down on it to reset it but first check if the wire is connected it shouldnt be loose make sure its tight then push it after that put the key in the ignition turn it until all the lights on the guage come on leave like that for about 20 seconds then turn the key back and take it out of the iginition wait 10 sec... then start it hope this helps c ya .

Back