2001 Ford Explorer vs 2000 Chevy POS Blazer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer vs 2000 Chevy POS Blazer

OK, so i have this friend, lets call him michael, and he's one of those kooky dies hard chevy ppl. He has a 2000 Blaazer, and he has it slightly modified with a computer reprogram. But wat hes running on it is a v6 4.3 @ ~190-200 horsies with about 240-250 lb torque and hes riding on 31x10.25 BFG AT/KO's.

Now thats quite a bit of torque, and although my 2001 ex has more horsies, he can make it off the starting line faster. And now we don't race these professionally, we don't even do it that offten, its just that every once in a while, stopped at a stop light kinda deal.

But this pisses me off, having the capability and quality that Ford has put in this machine be shat on by some chevy POS.

OK so what im asking is basically what the deal is with more torqure with my ex, weather it be bolt on performance, or some type of mod. I realize i need to get my computer reprogrammed, which will give me some more horsies, and betting timings on the engine, but i am just wondering if there is anything else.

and no i don't have a v8 so headers are out of the question

and as for my ex, except for a new egine about 30,000 miles ago, and some new BFG AT/KO's i am riding stock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was actually saying " no effing way-no way-no effing way"

HAHA not gonna lie that story made me crack the hell up cuz I do that all the time haha

ANYWAY - if u search the intenet there is SO MUCH MORE CRAP to do to the 4.0 than the 5.0 as it is. Everytime i search for part, i end up just finding v6 parts.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the hell is Torque Monster going to have headers for us V6 guys!?!?!?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...V=1616+10333+4294967264&Vh=2001 Ford Explorer

There are already more than a few header choices for the SOHC. But you more than likely would not want to replace because you would lose low end torque and most likely gain very few hp. The stock manifolds are sufficient for almost all bolt ons for the SOHC.

Plus they are a a complete pain in the ass to install.

There are already more than a few header choices for the SOHC. But you more than likely would not want to replace because you would lose low end torque and most likely gain very few hp. The stock manifolds are sufficient for almost all bolt ons for the SOHC.

Plus they are a a complete pain in the ass to install.

Thats good to know, saves me $500!!:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip.

i beat my buddys 97 s-10 with a 4.3 till we got to about 60 mph then he got me, not by much tho. oh and i was in the 98 ohv sport

@ snookman

Sounds good, thanks for the advice, out of like 10 comments yours is the only one that pertained to the thread. Thanks

OK, so i have this friend, lets call him michael, and he's one of those kooky dies hard chevy ppl. He has a 2000 Blaazer, and he has it slightly modified with a computer reprogram. But wat hes running on it is a v6 4.3 @ ~190-200 horsies with about 240-250 lb torque and hes riding on 31x10.25 BFG AT/KO's.

Now thats quite a bit of torque, and although my 2001 ex has more horsies, he can make it off the starting line faster. And now we don't race these professionally, we don't even do it that offten, its just that every once in a while, stopped at a stop light kinda deal.

But this pisses me off, having the capability and quality that Ford has put in this machine be shat on by some chevy POS.

OK so what im asking is basically what the deal is with more torqure with my ex, weather it be bolt on performance, or some type of mod. I realize i need to get my computer reprogrammed, which will give me some more horsies, and betting timings on the engine, but i am just wondering if there is anything else.

and no i don't have a v8 so headers are out of the question

and as for my ex, except for a new egine about 30,000 miles ago, and some new BFG AT/KO's i am riding stock

Evan this is surprising because I have seen on several occasions the sohc can put a spanking on the 4.3. The 4.3 is an excellent motor but runs out of breath at anything over 5000 rpm (just look at the y-pipe for confirmation). the 255 ft. lb of torque is nothing to sneeze at. As far as mods, I offer custom tuning,cat backs, cold air kits,gears,headers (2 different manufacturer offerings),underdrive pullies,plug wires,coils,etc.

Dude my old 98 XLT with the SOHC use to smoke my buddies 4.3L s-10 pickup all the time. All my truck had was 2.5" catback system with a dynomax muffler, MAC intake, Taylor 10mm wires, TB spacer, synthetic fluids, and a low temp thermostat....
You'll be suprised how quick the SOHC motor is when opened up with exhaust and intake.

Exactly! These little 4.0's are impressive.

you could always do what i did, and completely strip down the interior, and remove everything thats heavy and you dont need....side steps (these weighed a bit more than i thought!), rear seats, carpet, center console, front an rear sway bars...etc etc

my acceleration went WAY up with all that weight removed...and i dont mind the utility look it.

0d6f428e.jpg

when i take out my system, all i have is my 2 front seats in there

Man what did you expect those little 4.3s are some torquey mofos. I mean they were used in the TySy's with only a turbo and inter-cooler on them pushing out about "Output was officially 280 hp (209 kW) and 360 ft·lbf (488 N·m), but some stock Typhoons have been measured at over 300 hp (224 kW) on a dynamometer."! Pretty impressive if you ask me. I am not brand loyal at all but i do find those numbers to be impressive. That could have something to do with it being basically a 350 with 2 less cylinders. ;)

threadrevive.jpg

Am I the only one that hated the one 4.0 that I owned, it had to rev so much to make power and even then it was very minimal. The 4.3 should easily walk all over a sohc 4.0, having driven both it would easily be the 4.3. For me a SUV needs all the torque it can get and the sohc just does not supply that, where as the 4.3 is pretty much a 350 missing 2 cylinders.

Also the the one 4.3 I've driven had some serious balls down low, there was a few times it seemed to pull harder than my 5.0 mustang right off the line. Granted that was a 2wd 2 door so not a lot of weight. The interior however was not nearly as good as the Ford interiors.

My friend has a 1997 Bravada with the 4.3 in it.

A few months ago before I had an MAC intake and a programming I still beat him in my 4.0 SOHC.

I had 3 people in my car and he had himself. I was even running 31" all terrains. I dont know if it was his driving or what?

Back