2001 Mountaineer-Hitch install & towing question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Mountaineer-Hitch install & towing question

I'm thinking about installing a class III hitch on my 01 mounty, 5.0L AWD. It looks to have the extra trans cooler already installed so I would assume it's prewired for the towing package. From what I've read, it should have the wiring connector somewhere under the rear tail lights (either side). Do the hitches for these just bolt on or would I have to drill any holes? Not sure if that's specific to the hitch or if they all just bolt on to the explorers/mountaineers. I thought I'd also ask if it'd be a problem towing a decent size fishing boat (prob around 2500 pounds or so) with 2-3 people in the Mounty down in the hills of Tennessee. It's a 850 mile round trip from up here in Indiana. Normally we take my step-dad's 98 jeep grand cherokee, but it's going to need some work this year before we leave for the trip & I'm not interested in having that thing break down on me. I would just assume use the Mounty if that sounds like it could do it. Any thoughts?

Your 5.0 will tow a 2500lb boat like crazy. Mine doesn't even work with that kind of weight behind it. Watch for longer stopping distances, but power is plenty and the trans handles it well.

Your wiring plug is under the drivers side tail light- Ford offers a harness as do some aftermarket companies.

A Class III hitch is a must- I wouldn't tow anything on the bumper- most install easily with no drilling and work really well. I like etrailer.com personally for hitches. You need to watch the notes, as some hitches won't have room for your full size 16" spare.

would never tow anything with the bumper, that would be a recipe for disaster imo. I was planning on having the brake rotors turned & putting some good pads on all 4 brakes to help in the mountains. I think hidden hitch has some good hitches, the one says you have to modify the "spare catch plate" by pushing it forward a half-inch. seems kind of weird but whatever works is good with me.

looks like our local dealer here in Elkhart has a draw-tite class III for $149.00 (5000lb std, 6000lb w/d). think I might go that route, seems like everybody online is either at that price or higher.

Back