2001 Ranger long cranking before starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ranger long cranking before starting

sball7922

Reaction score
City, State
Boring, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2001 Ford Ranger that has a starting problem. The vehicle has 110 K, 4.0 ltr engine, 4x4, and extended cab. Lately it has been harder to start after sitting for about 10 minutes. It takes as much as 20 seconds of cranking before it fires. Once it fires it start and runs smoothly. I replaced the in-tank fuel pump with and after market pump with no change. The fuel pressure bleeds off while the engine is not running, but as soon as it is cranked over the pressure increases and levels at normal pressure as the engine starts. If I turn the engine off and restart it after a few minutes it start right up. It is just a problem after sitting 10-15minutes. Anyone else have this or similar problem and what is a possible fix. I suspect a leak that lets air into the fuel system, but there is no evidence of fuel leaking out.
thanks for any help you can offer,
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not 100% sure on what the setup is on the ranger.

but bleeding fuel pressure is usually from 3 things.

1. some sort of leaking (maybe pull some plugs to make sure the injectors arent stuck open and its leaking down into the cylinder)

2. internal check valve in the fuel pump

3. fuel pressure regulator is leaking by

Thanks for the reply, I will check these out further. My thoughts on the injectors would be I should see a cylinder fire as I am trying to start it if the injector was bleeding by when in fact there is no attempt to fire for most of the cranking. Once it does fire and runs it is smooth and even. Thanks again for your imput. I will consider all options.

Hard to start

Did you find the fix? I have the same problem.

Yes, found the fix

Bad fuel pump. Dropped the fuel tank and replaced the assembly inside the tank which contains the pump and works fine now. I hope this helps with your problem. Scott

I replaced the fuel pump but not the whole sending unit. It didn't work. Is the a fuel regulator on the sendong unit.

Sorry, I do not remember if it is or not. My gut tells me almost everything except the in line filter is in the tank. I am only a backyard mechanic and it was awhile ago. I wish I could help you more.

Back