• Register Today It's free!

2001 - rough running

eric256

Reaction score
City, State
Kaneohe, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT AWD
2001 5.0 XLT - 158,000. Runs rough during acceleration. Smooth idle and no codes. Scanner looks clean.

Changed plugs, wires, coil packs, no help. Still the same.

Its not as rough as a misfire - I did that by missing a new plug wire when I was changing them.

Happens in all gears, except for maybe 1st taking off from a start. Can't feel it then. I live on a hill, and starting from the bottom of the hill in 1st is pretty smooth actually.

Rough whether the torque converter is locked up or not. I was thinking it was a fluid problem, but I can watch the lockup on my scanner as I'm driving.

I do have some torque converter lockup shimmy, its not that. This is pretty much constant.

Happens under hard accel and moderate accel. Steady speed its hard to notice.

Nearing my wits end. I've put 140,000 on this truck, so I know every sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air and fuel filters been replaced? When you have just one or two gallons of fuel in the tank run a can of SeaFoam through it - see if that would maybe clean injectors out.

Yeah fuel filter next. I've run some injector cleaner a few times and hi test gas the last few tanks, no help.

Funny that the roughness is pretty constant. Almost like there is a bolt in the tire. But I guess it is more rough on some drives and a bit fainter on others.

Air and fuel filters been replaced? When you have just one or two gallons of fuel in the tank run a can of SeaFoam through it - see if that would maybe clean injectors out.

Air and fuel filter replaced. No change. But now I may be on to something. My scanner shows the injector pulse width, per bank, not per injector.

The #2 bank is a lot higher (longer) under load than the #1 bank. At idle they are much closer.

I wonder if it is an injector problem. No injector faults in the scanner.

Looks like it is a drive shaft problem. That's coming out next.

In the end it was a bad u-joint. Replaced the rear one and now the truck runs great!

Wow, bad U-joint. I never would've thought of that. I've got an issue where the my '03 feels like it is missing badly - real herky-jerky - when holding the speed constant. Not when accelerating or when foot off the gas. Air and fuel filters have been replaced. Seems like a worn-out u-joint could explain my problem. Engine is not throwing any codes.
Thanks, that's why I love these forums.
Carson

Back