• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer XLT rough running

RedDogGurl

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
i recently received a 1996 Explorer XLT Sport Trac from my father. when he gave it to me we didn't know the check engine light bulb was blown. after trying to get it inspected i got codes 0113, 0760, 0761, 0420, 0171, and 0174. i had the codes reset and after driving for a while got all the codes except 0113, and 0420. i am currently attempting to fix the codes 0171 and 0174, i have replaced the fuel filter, and the plugs and wires. after replacing the plugs and wires, the truck started idling rough in park and neutral on start up. when first started it will rev up to 2000rpm then slowly go down to 1500rpm then sound and feel like it is going to die out, but doesn't, it slowly drops down to 1000rpm and idles rough, there is also a faint smell of gas. in drive it sits at 1000rpm until gas is applied, and seems to drive normal except for seeming like it doesn't want to get up and go(sluggish). the guy at auto zone said it could be a vacuum leak, but in his experiance it's most likely the mass air flow sensor. is there an easier way to figure out what it is other than actually buying the sensor, or doing what the guy said and spraying the engine with carb cleaner while it's running?

These might help you

How to clean MAF

Clean IAC

Also check your wires and make sure they are seated good on plugs and coil. Also check to see if you have wires crossed to the wrong plug.

thanks, will try these and hope it works. i went around and checked the plugs, all are in, and we only did 1 plug at a time so there shouldn't be any mixing of the wires.

Back