2001 Sport Trac 5 speed manual / 302 swap 101 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac 5 speed manual / 302 swap 101

sport trac jr.

Reaction score
City, State
P
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac
2001 Sport Trac 5 speed manual I have now . Try to re-up on this ...the 302's are P VIN 1999-2001 seeing them dirt cheap....

Question I do need to get the 302 wiring harness and find one with manual trans.? and the manual ECU in donor car also?
or will the 2001 manual ECU work on the 1999-2001 302 engine non manual pull? If I get the wiring harness it has to be from
a manual original 302 harness....???

2. What manual trans goes with the 302 1999-2001...........???? and would that be a manual trans would have the fire wall
mount master clutch cylinder and out side slave???? And that might be a issue on the fire wall master cylinder....for mounting it
on the fire wall and if their is room?? I suppose a 5 speed mustang or explorer??? is the explorer rare the manual trans???

What other 2001 Sport Trac 5 speed manual items may their be and ...the exhaust system ......???? forgot...

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Allright so you want to build a 5.0 5 speed sport trac
It can be done, in fact I have one sitting outside that someone else built and gave up on.... that is where I usually come in and make a big score!(OBX headers, rebuilt 302, 5 speed, 4406 manual t case, runs and drives!!)

All 5.0 Explorers from 96-2001 use the 4r70w automatic, there were NO 5 speed 302's from Ford after 96.
However the 6 cylinder F150 with a 4.2 V6 had the SAME BELLHOUSING as the 302. This is a Mazda 5 speed M5OD-R2
It will bolt up to the 302, it came in RWD and 4wd tailhousings

98-04 F150 I want to say? You will have to do some research....

You can use Ranger/Explorer clutch pedal and hydraulics from a V6/5 speed to make this a near bolt in deal
V6 sport tracs with a 5 speed did exist, same as 98-11 Ranger, 95-04 Explorer sport, some 96-01 Explorers, the pedals, clutch master, and hydraulics will bolt to your sport trac just like it left the factory.

You will NEED to flash the 96-01 5.0 computer to have it forget about controlling the auto trans, otherwise it will not run very well (Like the one I have outside)
You will have to MODIFY the stock 96-01 5.0 Explorer wiring harness slightly. The only signals the 5 speed sends to the truck are Neutral safety and reverse sensor.....

Finding the 5 speed can be the hard part, not a ton of them out there and now that the word has been out on this conversion for several years when they do pop up they command good $$$$

Allright so you want to build a 5.0 5 speed sport trac
It can be done, in fact I have one sitting outside that someone else built and gave up on.... that is where I usually come in and make a big score!(OBX headers, rebuilt 302, 5 speed, 4406 manual t case, runs and drives!!)

All 5.0 Explorers from 96-2001 use the 4r70w automatic, there were NO 5 speed 302's from Ford after 96.
However the 6 cylinder F150 with a 4.2 V6 had the SAME BELLHOUSING as the 302. This is a Mazda 5 speed M5OD-R2
It will bolt up to the 302, it came in RWD and 4wd tailhousings

98-04 F150 I want to say? You will have to do some research....

You can use Ranger/Explorer clutch pedal and hydraulics from a V6/5 speed to make this a near bolt in deal
V6 sport tracs with a 5 speed did exist, same as 98-11 Ranger, 95-04 Explorer sport, some 96-01 Explorers, the pedals, clutch master, and hydraulics will bolt to your sport trac just like it left the factory.

You will NEED to flash the 96-01 5.0 computer to have it forget about controlling the auto trans, otherwise it will not run very well (Like the one I have outside)
You will have to MODIFY the stock 96-01 5.0 Explorer wiring harness slightly. The only signals the 5 speed sends to the truck are Neutral safety and reverse sensor.....

Finding the 5 speed can be the hard part, not a ton of them out there and now that the word has been out on this conversion for several years when they do pop up they command good $$$$
Thanks need to add this......The 2001 ST RWD I have already has the 5 speed ......I was wondering what manual would mount to the 302 and work year for the trans and year for 302 say 2001 302.? Then I have seen the 5 speeds are rare.......Except to 410.........and the knowledge base on this might not be rare, expect for 410............like who knows this stuff or has done it....well 410....What was i thinking....

410's answer
"The 6 cylinder F150 with a 4.2 V6 had the SAME BELLHOUSING as the 302. This is a Mazda 5 speed M5OD-R2
It will bolt up to the 302, it came in RWD"

Question The ST RWD drive I have now has that gravity feed clutch thing I dont like vs wall firewall master mount clutch. Now
that I think of it if the manual tran 410 is saying to use is the MSOD-R2 the 2001 STrac manual I have now is the 5 speed MSOD in the S Trac so the master slave is not a problem now I suppose.

Question 2 410, the 6 cylinder F150 with a 4.2 V6 had the SAME BELLHOUSING as the 302. Me , So the 2001 302 would work
with 6 cylinder F150 with a 4.2 V6....which is a M5OD-R2...I have a M5OD in now.

Question 3 410 , "You will NEED to flash the 96-01 5.0 computer to have it forget about controlling the auto trans, otherwise it will not run very well (Like the one I have outside)
You will have to MODIFY the stock 96-01 5.0 Explorer wiring harness slightly. The only signals the 5 speed sends to the truck are Neutral safety and reverse sensor....."
Me, is the above off the table because I have a "2001 STrac RWD that has the 5 speed already in?" and will that comupter
with the manual factory M5OD - 4.0V6 run the 302V8....????? with the wiring harness change to link to the 302 ???? and
thats it????

Thanks allot.......... 410.....the gift basket is in the mail.....
1629645247115.png

Your v6 computer will not run the 5.0 nope
You can keep your pedal and hydraulics, the M5OD-R2 uses the same internal slave cylinder and throw out bearing.
You will want to replace your master cylinder at same time as the slave ALWAYS, use LUK only!

Converting a V6 01 sport trac to run the 5.0 is a little more then just bolting in the 5.0 and wiring, but only a LITTLE more
the 5.0 will mostly bolt in
BUT everything 4.0 under your hood goes away, all of it........ the sohc v6 is overhead cam 60 degree v6 from Cologne family of engines
The 302 was run from 1969-2001, pushrod, 90 degree V8.... not similar in any way. The drivetrain wiring is completely different.
HOWEVER the do share many things on the truck side of things, get familiar with the 42 pin plug called C112/C110/C115 depending on year /model that is where ALL the wiring magic happens when converting as SOHC truck to a 5.0 truck.

Converting this ranger to 5.0 is very similar to what you are asking (01 sport trac and 2000 Ranger very close to same vehicle)

02 trac I converted:

Your v6 computer will not run the 5.0 nope
You can keep your pedal and hydraulics, the M5OD-R2 uses the same internal slave cylinder and throw out bearing.
You will want to replace your master cylinder at same time as the slave ALWAYS, use LUK only!

Converting a V6 01 sport trac to run the 5.0 is a little more then just bolting in the 5.0 and wiring, but only a LITTLE more
the 5.0 will mostly bolt in
BUT everything 4.0 under your hood goes away, all of it........ the sohc v6 is overhead cam 60 degree v6 from Cologne family of engines
The 302 was run from 1969-2001, pushrod, 90 degree V8.... not similar in any way. The drivetrain wiring is completely different.
HOWEVER the do share many things on the truck side of things, get familiar with the 42 pin plug called C112/C110/C115 depending on year /model that is where ALL the wiring magic happens when converting as SOHC truck to a 5.0 truck.

Converting this ranger to 5.0 is very similar to what you are asking (01 sport trac and 2000 Ranger very close to same vehicle)

02 trac I converted:
Thanks allot 410.................
Forgot something, will the 302 with the M5OD-R2 5 speed manual shifter end up where mine is now?
and what about the drive shaft. or Will the now in 5 speed M5OD stay in place and the 302 will bolt to it....
Are the M5OD-R2 and M5OD almost the same????? in fact????
So I suppose I take the 302 computer and program to manual????? also....and the harness and that is it
except if their is a drive shaft thing????

Thanks 410,
Austin Power Shift...............
1629651316848.png

1629651337172.png

Do you have a preferred vendor/method for getting the ECM flashed to tune out the 4R70W control functions?

Do you have a preferred vendor/method for getting the ECM flashed to tune out the 4R70W control functions?
No......I dont....on the flash......Also was wondering if the trans would line up with with mounts etc.....I have the M5OD 5 speed in
the Strac now which I have not looked to see the diff. in the M5OD-R2...I would think the M5OD and M5OD-R2 would
have the same bell housing???
thanks faspakr

Totally different bell housings and they're cast with the transmission case rather than separate/removable pieces. The R2 is a larger but very similar unit to the R1. Even staying within R1 or R2 versions, there are different cases depending on the engine family they're designed for.

I believe the mount itself stays in the same place, but that's a question for @410Fortune .

Back