2001 Sport Trac wheel bearing replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac wheel bearing replacement

STinHI

Reaction score
City, State
Kealakekua, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
After searching the board for many hours I have come to the conclusion to replace my front bearings I need to buy a new hub assembly right? Is this all I need? Also does anyone know the size of the wheel hub retainer nut (spline nut). I already have my front end stripped, I'm just waiting on taking off the spline nut. After I take off the nut all I do is pull off the plate with the studs? or is this connected to the hub? Then I just replace them correct? Oh yea this is on my drivers side, I'm running 33's on 15x10's and a 4" lift so I guess this added to the premeture wear. Does anyone know where I can buy the hub assembly? As others have stated its over $300 locally. I checked at Napa, a local chain but haven't made the stop to Ford yet I'm assuming its gonna be around there. Can this task be accomplished by an avid mechanic? Should both side hubs be replaced at the same time? Thanks for any help.

The wheel bearing is the hub assy. (you replace the entire thing, not just the bearings). The axle retaining nut is either a 32 or a 36mm (can't remember which). Once the outer nut is removed you will need to remove the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle. The bolts are located inside the knuckle, around the CV.

I hope MrBoyle is still checking this (This is for my '96):
Is it really important to replace and not reuse the axle retaining nut? I replaced one already when I put in the new axle, but it didn't seem like this was necessary. Also:

My problem seems to be the ABS sensor ring, not the bearing. I'm assuming that this is part of the sealed bearing/ hub assembly, and would be included w/ a new hub. Any ideas or instructions would be great. Thanx,

Back