• Register Today It's free!

2001 Timing Chain Issues

FLTRAC

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Fl.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hey guys, I have read a lot of people have had issues with timing chain problems with the 4.0. I have started having issues with mine, it seems to be worse when the weather is cold. Now that it's hot in Fl. I don't really hear the rattle like I do when it is cold,thats when my trac sounds like a diesel cranking up. is this typical behavior when the plastic pieces are getting worn? I have a mechanic friend that will replace all my timing components and some other things for $850.00(labor) plus parts does this sound reasonable? I have 136,200 miles and really love my trac, don't think i will ever get rid of it until it falls apart. any replies will be appreciated.:help:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no one?

Does he know the engine has to be pulled? If he's going to do both chains for $850, jump on it.

yes he knows, and he is also going to do a tune-up, water pump, belts and hoses. He is a good friend. Thanks for the reply, how do you feel about the TT lift and add a leaf

OffTrac, i think you are the one i read about the spindle lift, is that the best way to go for the front?

I would only go up on the torsion lift as much as necessary to clear your tires. I would recommend the long add a leaf for the rear.

I don't really know much about the spindle lift since I'm 4x4.

Sorry i thought i saw your name on a spindle lift, thanks for the info

Back