• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 Suspension differences?

Expedro

Reaction score
City, State
Perth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8
Hey there again all. Hoping someone can give me a definitive answer to the question: Is there any difference to the design or parts of 2002-2005 Explorer XLT 4DR suspension? Trying to find a range of components for my 02 suspension but it is proving quite limited. Yet if I search using 2004 or 2005 as the model year there seem to be significantly more options. Front suspension components seem to line up between all years but the problem arise when searching for rear components. I was under the impression that parts like suspension were the same across the gen 3 year ranges (for XLT 4DR).
Can anyone help clear this up for me? I have read other threads that hint at this but I would really love some solid confirmation if possible. Thanks again for all your help so far.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm. I am interested too. From what I have read so far, it seems that the Eddie Bauers come with a premium smooth ride and the limited come with air suspension...

Any truth to that?

So basically, this is my question. I've found several struts that fit the rear of 2004 gen 3 explorer. Will these struts fit the 2002? I keep reading that the suspension components are shared across the 2002-2005 explorer 4dr range. Is this true?:salute:

While the OE may have ranged in spring tension, I show only one number for the rear, 02-05. Not listing air suspension. Monroe.

hmm. I am interested too. From what I have read so far, it seems that the Eddie Bauers come with a premium smooth ride and the limited come with air suspension...

Any truth to that?
My 05 Limited does not have air suspension.

As far as the entire explorer community goes, all trim packages use traditional 'McPherson struts' of the same type and part number.

-Dubya

Thanks for the timely reply guys. You've pretty much backed up the info I found previously and that's all could have hoped for. So thanks again. Looks like I'll take the plunge and order some strut listed under 2004 model year listings. 2002-03 listing for parts are all over the place and differ from one shop to the next. 2004 is the first year where the parts lists start to agree. If I choose wrong i'll just have to learn from my mistakes.
:salute:
Cheers guys.

Back