2002 4wd issues. Please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4wd issues. Please help!

spc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EXPLORER
Ok, so here's my problem. I have a 2002 Explorer EB. The 4wd buttons all work. The 4wd drive works. The problem is when in 4x4 HI, there seems to be a high pitched "growl" that comes from the driver side wheel. Sometimes it's loud, sometimes it kind of squeals, sometimes it just hums. When the truck is in 4x4 Auto and there's a little snow or slush on the ground the truck seems to stutter when I let off the gas, kind of like it's shifting in and out of 4wd.

I think the 4wd is stuck in 4x4 HI. There isn't a light on the dash, but when the road is dry there is a hi pitch whine coming from the front end and it seems to be rolling real tight. I removed the two 20amp fuses in the engine compartment to disable the 4wd and the whine and tightness go away.

Another issue that may or may not be related is when I make low speed turns, there is an audible growl coming from the front driver side wheel. Most of the time I can feel the growl also. Just a side note, I have changed the wheel bearing on this side, and it made no difference whatsoever.

Thanks in advanced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time you rotated your tires? Are they all the exact same tire? Size and brand/model? Sounds like it is either stuck in 4x4 or constantly going into 4x4 when it doesnt need to.

I put two new tires on the on the rear this weekend and rotated the ones that were on the rear to the front. Now all the tires match, with the exception that the ones on the front are about 5 months old. The 4wd drive issue appears to be fixed, but the growl and rumble when turning is still happening. I don't know what to look at next.

Back