2002 Eddie Bauer testing for bad shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Eddie Bauer testing for bad shocks

finiteguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Ok, I have and 2002 Eddie Bauer with 66,000 miles. It seems to be running great, but I get a lot of vibration lately and it seems that it doesn't handle very well. I brought it to my mechanic and he said ...no problem with the shocks because they aren't leaking. I would think that they are bad due to the age. Years ago in the 60's we would bounce on the fenders and it you got more than 2 or three cycles, then that was and indication of bad shocks. Anyone have any good advice? What kind of shocks should I get...Monroe used to be the best.

My 05 needs shocks, at low speeds the speed bumps are rough. Almost a clunk. My 04 w/new shocks doesn't make that noise at all. I tried the bounce test and didn't notice any real difference.

My 05 needs shocks, at low speeds the speed bumps are rough. Almost a clunk. My 04 w/new shocks doesn't make that noise at all. I tried the bounce test and didn't notice any real difference.

Not sure if I can do the bounce test. I only weigh 163 lb and I can't get it bouncing, but the Explorer rides lousy so I think I will just replace them. Wish I could do it myself....but it always seems that replacing shocks is a tough job without cutting tools.

Back