2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer p0153 code? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer p0153 code?

finiteguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi All, I have a problem with my 2002 Explorer. Recently I had a mechanic repair a wiring harness that leads to the oil pressure switch because I kept getting erratic oil pressure = 0 and gage alarm would go off. They repaired some frayed wires in the harness and now the car runs terrible....rough idle, stalls at idle and poor fuel economy. I got a P0153 coded but it cleared itself, and now I can't get the code to come back...but the engine still runs bad. I'm thinking that when they repaired the wiring harness...the may have miss wired. Anyway, any advice is appreciated. It's going back to the mechanic next week to iron out the problem...but just thought Id ask here. I do know that wiring problems can be a nightmare.

Kinda hard to offer advice, except that is seems like a good possibility that they screwed something up.

I will say, however, that the oil pressure switch on the 4.0L SOHC engine (I have the same year Explorer as you) is on the lower driver's side of the engine block, toward the front of the engine. Its a $15 part (online) and only a single wire runs to it (circuit completed through engine ground). I have repaired that wire before, after swapping engines. I have a hard time understanding how a repair to that wire/switch could have screwed up other systems.

They didn't go into the instrument cluster, did they?

And what alarm are you referencing?

Back