2002 Explorer swaying after major work done on the front and rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer swaying after major work done on the front and rear

KA3NXN

It's HER truck
Reaction score
City, State
Arvoinia, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT, 4.6L
Callsign
KA3NXN
Hi Gang,

I just did some major work on the front and the rear of my 2002 Explorer with a 4.6 L engine all wheel drive. I replaced the front hubs all new calipers all new brakes all new rotors and all new ball joints, upper control arms, and tie rod ends in the front. In the back all new wheel bearings all new ball joints all new linkages and I put a new set of shocks all the way around. I made sure that everything was tight but when I take it out on the road and hit about 50 mph especially on the turns I noticed that it’s swaying sometimes pretty bad. Any ideas what I should look at?

Check your swaybar endlinks...?

I had my passenger side endlink break, thus making it useless. On the interstate doing 75mph, it was like driving a boat. Switching lanes would make it sway. Driving over a small bump like a bridge would make it bounce. Around town, and at lower speeds, not so noticeable.

I recently broke a rear sway bar link. Didn't fix it for about 2 weeks and continued to drive it. Did not feel any different.

With so many new parts it will be hard to pinpoint. Can you describe the sway. Boat like feel or hard to handle wandering feel.

I'd start off by getting the EX off the ground and testing each wheel for play like checking for bad wheel bearings. Next make sure you have your alignment adjusters tighten down. Then make sure the shock did not punch through the top hat bushing; easy to forget the shock shaft washer.

Did you take it in for a four-wheel alignment? Do.

Back