2002 ford explorer mileage gas bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 ford explorer mileage gas bad

Leroyg

Reaction score
City, State
San antonio,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
Well my explorer with a 4.0 just clicked 202000 mileage is real bad any suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my explorer with a 4.0 just clicked 202000 mileage is real bad any suggestions

How bad is "real bad"?
Have all of the common components such as plugs, wires, fuel filter, o2 sensors etc. been replaced? Mine at 108,000 miles averages 20 in mixed driving.

Search on this site for posts where people have asked the same question -- check for any codes to help. I hear several auto parts shops will do it for free if you don't do it. You can read your own codes by downloading Forscan and getting an ELM 327 connector from Amazon.com. Do some search on here for more info on that too.

how is the coolant temp doing? This can play a decent role in MPG. My thermostat has grown weak as my exporer runs at 176*F (80*C) and the factory spec is a 195* stat which usually runs 200*F (93*C). And I am currently getting crap mileage. Worse than our Suburban! About ~14.5 highway and ~12 in town.

Mine gets about 12 around town. The best I have ever seen is 17 on the Hwy. It's been like that since I bought it new.. Excuses I got were, "It is all wheel drive".

I wouldn't replace the 02 sensors if they're working (scan tool and forescan can tell you).

You have not provided any maintenance history. Spark plugs, air filter, throttle body (clean), and maybe clean MAF (careful), and maybe spark plug wires could help a lot.

I like the thought of the thermostat but don't have experience to back that up. I overhauled my 2002 4.0L XLS engine when I replaced the timing chains (new water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat, hoses, plugs, wires, etc., etc.), and it runs great. get 17-20+ in mixed city and highway driving. I think the extra power from a well tuned engine encourages you to not stomp on the pedal as much.

No codes no check engine lights on it also has 202000 miles now

But when were plugs last replaced, etc.? I'd replace plugs ever 65-75k miles for good fuel mileage, even if they say that they're supposed to last 100k. Iridiums might go 100k, but probably aren't the best choice for this truck.

But when were plugs last replaced, etc.? I'd replace plugs ever 65-75k miles for good fuel mileage, even if they say that they're supposed to last 100k. Iridiums might go 100k, but probably aren't the best choice for this truck.
Don' know just bought it s few months ago it still has alot of power

So pull the easiest plug and take gander. Careful getting that boot off that you don't break the plug wire....

Back