2002 Ford Explorer on 28's

str8304

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello All,

I'm a new Ford Owner and new to the Ford Forums although I am not new to the car scene (as seen here on my cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/id/str8304_2. I bought a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 V8 from a local auction about 21/2 weeks ago. So far, I've added upper/lower billet grilles, 28" rims on 255/25/28 tires (all stock suspension), clear corners, and 5% on top of 5% window tint all around 5% tint on windshield brow plus 30% tint across whole windshield. My clear corners did not come in until after I took the photos below. Earlier today, I ordered new headlight housings and LED taillights all from eBay.

Now I've searched all over the internet and have not seen a 3rd gen explorer on rims larger than 26" except one but it was lifted on 30s. Am I the first to have 28s on an all stock suspension?

IMG_2195-1.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

DSC_2924.jpg

DSC_2927.jpg

DSC_2929.jpg

DSC_2925.jpg

DSC_2931.jpg

DSC_2933.jpg

DSC_2934.jpg

DSC_2922.jpg

DSC_2921.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forums, to being a Ford owner and Explorer.

Can't say I'd put those on but it really is a unique look. How is the ride? and as long as you are happy with it, enjoy it.

And i thought 20s were big haha do you rub on bump or full lock

I only rub in this 1 tiny spot on both sides when I make a sharp turn but it is minimul...I al going to file the spot down and I should be good. I just put them on yesterday and hit the highway a bit and ran through a couple bumpy streets in my area to test it and so far so good..No rough or bumpy riding..

0517bf79-8db8-4b22-8ac9-7a746b9bddc0.jpg

Finally, something different on this forum. Those are tiny...

...sidewalls. Looks good.

I'm not a huge fan of the xtream low pro tires but I do like when people mod their vehicles in any way... It's personalization to ones own taste...

With that said they look cool... good on you...

I have a 2005 Ford explore on 28" also!!! I put them on like 8 months ago!!

With a 95W rating, you are running tires rated at less than that required for an explorer - they need 102 at least. each rating point is worth 20kg, so your rating at each corner is some 140kg (300LB) less than it ought to be. Your choice though, and for the record, I think they look ridiculous (and not in a good way), but it's your truck. Hopefully you don't pop a tire (due to it being substantially under rated) and hurt or kill someone.

That truck looks like a modern day conestoga wagon

Not only are those rims dangerous, as pointed out above, but what about the tint as described? 5% on top of 5% and 30% across the windshield. This is not a safe vehicle.

This is my favourite 3rd gen explorer Ive ever seen!! ####ing amazing!

Not only are those rims dangerous, as pointed out above, but what about the tint as described? 5% on top of 5% and 30% across the windshield. This is not a safe vehicle.
You really cant comment at all on how dangerous it is without seeing it in person.

As far as tint goes it greatly depends on the brand, and the actual vehicle itself. IE) visibility, interior color, amount of windows, and general layout etc.

Ive had two vehicles now with 5% on all glass including windshield, both on daily drivers and it certainly took some getting used to but once I got a good set of HID`s I was good to go. And that was in a 3rd gen camaro which has some of the worst windshield visibility ever.

This is my favourite 3rd gen explorer Ive ever seen!! ####ing amazing!

You really cant comment at all on how dangerous it is without seeing it in person.

As far as tint goes it greatly depends on the brand, and the actual vehicle itself. IE) visibility, interior color, amount of windows, and general layout etc.

Ive had two vehicles now with 5% on all glass including windshield, both on daily drivers and it certainly took some getting used to but once I got a good set of HID`s I was good to go. And that was in a 3rd gen camaro which has some of the worst windshield visibility ever.
5% on the windshield is just plain idiotic. It doesn't matter what brand it is. A strip at the top is fine, but like you said is dumb. What he was referring to was that this one has 5% applied twice on top of each other on the windows. Not the safest either, but more legal since there are Ford and Chevy vans that come from the factory without any windows behind the fronts, but generally speaking the front windows aren't allowed to be tinted depending on what state you are in.

5% on the windshield is just plain idiotic. It doesn't matter what brand it is. A strip at the top is fine, but like you said is dumb. What he was referring to was that this one has 5% applied twice on top of each other on the windows. Not the safest either, but more legal since there are Ford and Chevy vans that come from the factory without any windows behind the fronts, but generally speaking the front windows aren't allowed to be tinted depending on what state you are in.

Agreed 100%. I actually started typing something similar to this when he first posted it but decided it wasn't even worth arguing over lol. My family owns a tint shop and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that 5% on the windshield will have terrible visibility.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wasnt the smartest idea. I was 17 at the time. And 19 the second time lol.

And yes I know what "two layers means".

5% or doubled 5% on the side windows is way way easier to work with than the 5% on the windshield was.

Must admit though...it looks badass
1296671960.jpg

BUT, for people reading this...if you do for whatever reason tint the windshield (50% is actually getting fairly common, and even 35% sometimes) a good set of fog lights is very very recommended. Im talking badass LEDs at minimum but ideally HID. And absolutely positively get HID headlights..they will make driving sooo much easier with the windshield done.

Back