2002 Ford Explorer Sport Repair Advice Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Repair Advice Needed

Tommaso

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton Ontario CN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
I bought my Explorer Sport about three years ago and since then I have put on about 100,000 km. Now she has a total of 171,000 km and I have had no trouble up until about a week ago. Actually, for the last couple months I noticed a strange vibration in the front end while driving. It was very slight, but still noticable. Other than that she has been a great reliable family car that has never let us down.

Just a few days ago my power steering started going. When I turned the wheel the steering would skip and vibrate almost like the power steering belt was skipping. It got especially bad on the highway while going around a tight turn at high speed shaking the car violently. It was after I got home I noticed it was leaking power steering fluid. I brought her into the Ford dealership and had them check it out and give me the vedict.

They found out my power steering rack had popped its seal and had to be replaced. Also they said both the outer tie rods were gone also and that they would replace them with the rack and I would save on the labour as it was easy to do with the rack removed. Then they told me the wheel bearings were gone and I then realized this was probably the strange noise I have been noticing while driving. Unfortunately, that isn't the worst of the trouble. My lower ball joints and upper control arms are gone too and they can't do an allignment because of these warn parts. Then to make matters worse they said they stripped my plug when removing it and now they have to have it professionally extracted which will cost me an additional $100.00. They said the reason this happened is because they have been in there so long. It is true I have not changed my plugs ever and they very well could be the original ones that came with the car. The last things wrong are my breaks and rotors. They say the rotors are too thin, but they never have been turned and they look like new to me. These I am not going to replace as they are not warped and do the job just fine. I don't think this is nessisary, but obviously the pads need to be done.

What I decided to do was fix the major things by replacing the power steering rack. They did this and the both outer tie rods and only charged me for parts on the tie rods. They also changed my spark plugs, extracting the one and did my oil and filter change. This came to a total of $1511.62 with tax. The parts alone were $602.26 and the labour was $543.45 the rest tax. Now I still have the wheel bearings, lower ball joints and upper control arm to fix! Also I forgot to mention a peg and bolt (name?) on my stabilizer bar is totally missing on the drivers side, so I am going to replace this myself as it seems fairly easy to do.

The reason I didn't get everything done is because it would have cost me an additional $2500.00 for the rest and I figured I might be able to do some of the work myself. Now that I am back from the shop and looking at things, I think I might have just been better off getting all the work done at once. Oh well, at least this way I can ask you guys/gals advice before I do any more work that's going to cost me. At least I got the leak fixed.

When I got home from the repairs I jacked up the car to see all the work they had done. They did what they said and I also tried to see if I could tell if the other parts were bad like they stated. I rocked the front wheels and I could feel play which probably means yes indeed the wheel bearings are gone. Actually they move in and out quite a bit - probably pretty dangerous. I can't tell myself if the lower ball joints and upper control arms are worn. Any way to do this easily?

Anyways, sorry for such a long post. I just wanted to ask some of your advice and what I should look out for when getting these things repaired. I don't want to be ripped off and it would be very easy to do as I don't know much about these things. Anything to look out for or any good advice? Also, the guy at the shop said it is normal for SUV's to have these things go as they take a lot of punishment unlike a car. Is there any truth to this? If so I can see why all this went as I rarely slow down for train tracks and only slow down a little for speed bumps. My other cars could handle it, but may be SUV's are different? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Tommaso

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No replies yet - gee, I do need to fix my car soon so some advice would be nice sooner than later. Not trying to be a dink, just I need to get it fixed soon and could use some advice. Please, if anyone can help it would be appreciated greatly!

Tommaso

i dont think anyone wants to comment. Its up to you on how much you will sink into a car. for that price, you can just buy a better used one

You seem to have it diagnosed... It doesn't seem like they screwed you at the dealer or anything... Get to work and replace the parts you talked about. Check the brake rotors with a caliper and see if they are in spec, maybe someone can chime in with the spec b/c I do not know.

I wouldn't drive it too much the way it is if the tires have a lot of top to bottom wobble.

Large post to reply to...

i dont think anyone wants to comment. Its up to you on how much you will sink into a car. for that price, you can just buy a better used one

You seem to have it diagnosed... It doesn't seem like they screwed you at the dealer or anything... Get to work and replace the parts you talked about. Check the brake rotors with a caliper and see if they are in spec, maybe someone can chime in with the spec b/c I do not know.

I wouldn't drive it too much the way it is if the tires have a lot of top to bottom wobble.

These two are correct... I would say, financially, if you are ready to buy another vehicle, do it. Take this one, get it detailed and trade it in - if you want to. If not, keep writing those checks :) Keep in mind it takes time for posts this detailed to be responded to - My vote is to go with another vehicle, like a strong 2nd gen - pay cash and done.

personally i think you should keep it.. and repair it.. u were man enough to beat on her why not man up and fix her.. i beat on mine and im manning up to fix her... what u have to realize is that an suv may be a "truck" although trucks are not mean to hit things fast and hard thier suspensions are a lot more complicated and sensitive... u should def slow down a lot for everything that cause a shock to the car.. bump, tracks, eetc.... but it happens thats a lot of miles.. well for u at least mine has 198xxx on it, so i know where ur at i havae to replace much of that myself as well.. although my bf is a mechanic, a professional mechanic not one of those i think im a mechanic (like he has 50k in tools alone ) but ne ways yes if u are financially sound to fix her than do it.. if u were closer id offer my bf as ur mechanic as he ould do it cheaper than a shop.. but u could also look into a local shop vs a dealer.. or if u know a good mechanic that would be cheaper but as efficeint as shop... but ur call in the end i suppose.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my extremely long winded post. This car has been great and had no problems up until now so I have decided to fix her. Everything was done and it cost me $3200.00. I have had her for three and a half years and put on a little over 100,000 km with a total of 171,000 km with not one complaint or problem. Because of this I think it is only fair to fix her. She starts up perfectly and the engine is as strong as the day I bought her. I am hoping she can pull off another 100,000 km. as she pretty much has a new front end with all that was replaced.

Actually, I have one more small problem to take care of. The car surges when in idle or in drive when stopped and my foot on the break. Sometimes it does it worse than others. I thought changing the spark plugs would have corrected the problem, but it didn't. I have not changed the PCV valve ever since owning the car, so could this be its cause?

The weird thing is it started this surging right after I left the dealership from getting an emmission test. Could they have adjusted the timing to do this procedure and didn't set it correctly when done?

Any suggestions on what it could be would be greatly appreciated. Just thought I would mention - I have had the fuel filter changed not too long ago, so it can't be that. Thanks in advance!

TGT

well i dont know much about 3rd gen exs but to me it sounds like either a vacum leak ortps (throttle position sensor) i also dont know much about the pcv except that in my truck its supposed to be changed every 60k or so (although ive never changed mine and i have 200k on the truck) but id see if you could get a vacum diagram and check your lines to make sure you dont have a broken hose or maybe they accidently knocked off a line while messing under the hood... but glad to hear you fixed her....

Back