2002 Ford Explorer XLS Engine Issues... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLS Engine Issues...

MasterDev

Reaction score
City, State
Cicero, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport, 02 XLS, 06 XLT
Okay, so I have a Ford Explorer 2002 XLS...

I bought it with a dead engine for $400, so not a bad deal since the rest of the truck is in great shape.

Now my question is... The guy who sold it to me said the timing chain or tensioner was bad. So I decided to try and start the car (It wouldn't hurt since it was bad anyway). It started right up, but ran extremely rough for like 5-10 seconds and died... So what would this be? A tensioner or timing chain? I would assume since it ran for a bit, it would be the tensioner right?

And if you have any other ideas to what it could be or if maybe I should just buy a used engine and swap it out?

Oh yeah... a 4.0 V6 SOHC (I think it's a Flex Fuel)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm gonna try asking a different question still relating to this truck...

I put it aside since I have two other running cars, but now I really want my 02 back and running. I was wondering now if I could use the engine in my 01 Explorer Sport in my 02 Explorer XLS. The 02 has a different intake, this I know.

So someone please let me know if this is possible, or if I should just fork over some money for a used engine...

THANKS!

Here are some pictures of the engine in the 02 if that makes any difference...

one.jpg

two.jpg

three.jpg

For 400 bux, who cares what's wrong with it - buy a rebuilt long block and swap it out.

Heh, so that would be a better route than just using the one in my 01 sport? My 01 sport has a LARGE smash on the side, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal stealing the engine... I'll post a picture of it in a sec...

That being said - Is it possible for my 01 engine to fit in the 02 even though it's a different body style?

EDIT: Pictures here...

four.jpg

five.jpg

The Long Block is the same, the intake may be different but everything else is the same. Id swap it out and reuse the 02 Intake system.

Thank you for your answer! I'll go ahead and do that.

Thank you for your answer! I'll go ahead and do that.

be sure to let us know how it goes (with pics)

looks like you could wind up with a nice truck for pocket change

good luck:thumbsup:

I will most def post pictures and tell all about it...

Although I do have one more question... It's been sitting for a while, so I'm unsure if the tranny even works... Would the 01 tranny swap into the 02 as well? And is there anything else I should replace or look at while working on this?

The trannys are both the same 5 speed auto so unless there is some kind of different harness or something or perhaps tailshaft is shorter or longer I dont see it being a problem.

I've got another problem... That crack in that picture I posted of the 02 Engine... Is that the valve cover? So would I be swapping that with the block? Or am i going to have to replace that as well?

That valve cover is definately busted. They should be the same or im sure you could pick up a used set for low $$$.

Back