Wanted - pics of 02-05 skid plates | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted pics of 02-05 skid plates

Parts or services wanted
Just in case you fellas want to see (to do something similar), here's the transfer case skid plate.
skidplate.jpg

Fuel Tank skid plate to follow eventually...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just in case you fellas want to see (to do something similar), here's the transfer case skid plate.
skidplate.jpg

Fuel Tank skid plate to follow eventually...

Got drawings/CAD files? :D

Just a height and width maybe a few other measurements...

It would be really nice to have all that great spec in one place for all of those with a welder and some fab skills(but limited funds) to really protect the undercarrige....

Idk about yall but the trails around ronnin and I are pretty much rocks and boulders....
I can see some serious damage incurring if there isn't extreme caution taken by driver...
Undercarrige protection is going to be a must at least for essentials...(i trailride at least once a month)

Hey nate, ever get that skid plate or measurements?
There's been over 1,000 views on this thread so people are definitely interested...
Thanks will

Hey nate, ever get that skid plate or measurements?
There's been over 1,000 views on this thread so people are definitely interested...
Thanks will

X2. I am getting one but can not find out how you attach it.

I got the skid plate now. Its in Ogden and I'm in Vegas for the week. I have some pics of the fuel tank measured; I could post those if you want.

I got the skid plate now. Its in Ogden and I'm in Vegas for the week. I have some pics of the fuel tank measured; I could post those if you want.

Whenever you get a chance the more info the better.

We need a skid plate how to thread bad...

I'll try to see if I can get pics of my stock Skids. If that would help? They are still on my ex though so that's the best pics I'll be able to get.

Here you go, best I can do.

Fuel tank:
IMG_6744.jpg

IMG_6743.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg
This is how its mounted on passenger side, bolted to frame.
IMG_6749.jpg
This is driver side mount for fuel tank skid.

Dif: This is how it looks on there.
IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg
<-- where the to plates meet up.

If anyone has any questions about them ask away. I'll answer whatever I can.

Thank you so much this clears a lot up I couldn't figure how the hell they bolted up and now I can clearly see they bolt to the outside of the frame!

Thanks again man,
Will

Still want a picture of the skid plate off the Explorer?

Ford's skid plate is a thick plastic btw.

I do, still contemplating buying or building.

could always be helpful maybe lay it down snap a few pics if you dont mind.
who knows when we may get someone with this opportunity like this. maybe see if you can get a few reference measurements.then before you know it we will have a how to make your own skid plates sticky

my first thought was omg thats some thick steel lol

thanks,
will

Has anyone attempted to make their own skid plate for the gas tank? I definitely want to try and make my own. Ford wants $53 for the transfer case skid plate and $264 for the gas tank skid plate. For plastic I don't think its worth spending that kind of money for plastic skid plates.

Has anyone attempted to make their own skid plate for the gas tank? I definitely want to try and make my own. Ford wants $53 for the transfer case skid plate and $264 for the gas tank skid plate. For plastic I don't think its worth spending that kind of money for plastic skid plates.

I think ford went with a plastic skid plate to help keep the weight down. That's A LOT of metal you're talking about. All it needs to do is slide over an obstacle. I think as long as you're not doing any serious offroading or rock crawling the plastic would do just fine.

How does the skid plates affect gas mileage? Seems if done right the air under the truck would flow better.

How does the skid plates affect gas mileage? Seems if done right the air under the truck would flow better.

It would have a negligible affect on your gas mileage. The tank is recessed enough into the body and over the frame that air flow wouldn't really be any better. The stock skid plates aren't smooth anyways. You can't have them completely solid along the entire undercarriage because they would restrict some air flow and heat transfer; they would also collect road and trail debris.

The plastics are fine, I have scraped mine on some my wheein trips and it held up. Look around, I got mine for 160$ online.

How many skid plates do you have on that NBX? I know there's at least 2.

correct its 2, Transfer case and gas tank. The t-case is stamped 1/8" steel and the tank looks to be fiber reinforced plastic.

photo12_zpsd9a6058a.jpg

photo22_zpsa68b6841.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back