2002 mountaineer cyl 1 misfire (4.6l v8) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 mountaineer cyl 1 misfire (4.6l v8)

Mussin

Reaction score
City, State
Lima,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
My 2002 mountaineer started a misfire a couple of days ago. I went to Autozone and Advance to get the codes scanned. I figure it is the coil, but how to know for sure? I bought a set of plugs, how involved is that? The mountaineer has 160,000 on it so its time for a fresh set of plugs anyway, who knows when the last set were put in. Ive had this truck since March. I Have a mustang I drag race and am quite handy with tools. The coil was $47.00 at autozone can I get them cheaper??

THANKS guys

Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plugs are pretty easy on these. Just remove each cylinder's coil, and remove the plug underneath. Be sure to use Autolite or Motorcraft plugs for best results. Other brands tend not to work well.

You're probably right about the #1 coil. I'd have one on hand just in case. Try the plugs first and see if that takes care of it. If not, slam the new coil on the misfiring cylinder and that should be it.

Well Its good news/bad news... I bought a set of Motorcraft plugs to see if that would fix it first. I unplug the coil, and start to take ot the plug and the damn well is half full of old nasty coolant:mad: I got all the coolant out, pulled the plug, cleaned everything including the coil, installed new plug and old coil, FIXED.. Now for the coolant problem:mad::mad::mad: I dont see any visible leaks right now But there is some slime at the corner bolt where the coolant tube is (#1 cylinder) I HOPE I dont need a new intake, the cheapest I found them is $180 on Ebay. I really dont feel like an intake swap, it doesnt look that hard though.

Jeremy

Could just be the gasket. I'm trying to visualize the 4.6 upper end in my head since I don't have any here to look at...I'd pressure test the cooling system and see where that gets you. I can't think of anything that would cause coolant to fill up a spark plug well right off the top of my head. A pressure test would be the first place to start.
Rarely, if ever, have I run into serious problems with the 4.6 engine...They're quite the brick outhouse of reliability in my opinion. I'm willing to bet it's something pretty simple.

I talked to my mechanic friend and he said it is a common problem for the 4.6 plastic intake to develop cracks by the coolant tube (front) I guess ford came out with one that has aluminum in the front instead of plastic. It looks to have a very small hairline crack by the corner bolt head. The damn thing hasnt really leaked though, it just gets wet?? Im putting a new one on this weekend, they are like $225 at advance auto parts.

Jeremy

With all the performance parts out there for the 4.6L Mustang, it probably wouldn't be too hard to retro-fit an aftermarket aluminum intake onto your engine. Take a peek at Summit Racing or Jeg's for a couple good sources. Not only would you get a better quality piece, you'd also reap the benefits of a better flowing manifold, which could equate to more power and/or better MPG.

I know Edelbrock and TrickFlow have some nice 4.6 manifolds, and there's also a company called Professional Products that sells some China-made intakes that actually look pretty decent, and are very affordable. Summit and Jeg's sell the brands I mentioned and more.

Well I got the intake, Im gonna dive into it sat. morning. Anyone ever done this before?

Tips/tricks appreciated.

THANKS

Jeremy

Well got the intake changed sat. took about 3-4 hours from start to finish, it was pretty easy. Everything ran fine untill it sarted missing again. Had the code scanned, cyl 1 misfire.... I put the injectors and coils in the same cylinder they were in, so I swapped #5 and #1 coils, the miss went away for the rest of the day. It started to miss today and the light came on again, had the code scanned it still says cyl #1 missfire..

Whats next? I guess it could be the injector?? I wonder how much those run?

Jeremy

Well I went out and took the coil out and blew the plug well dry, alot of moisture came out of the well. I took the plug out, cleaned it up re installed the coil and now it runs fine. Crossing my fingers.

Jeremy

Injectors are pretty cheap for these. Even genuine Motorcraft ones right from the dealer. Otherwise, check www.rockauto.com for excellent prices on OEM and aftermarket brands.

All is well, looks like a little moisture in the well was the problem.

Back