2002 mountaineer transfer case is bad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 mountaineer transfer case is bad

ra49686

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse city ,Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer PIU 3.5
Ive got 02 mountaineer w/ bw4410 transfer case that is Locked up.I cannot find a viscous coupler.Which I know is bad.Either buy another used (bad) one or possibly change transfer case to another model.Is there an alternative one to use.

Transfer cases, for what they are, are usually pretty stable parts compared to rear ends and transmissions. I have no clue why, but I've blown motors and transmissions, but only dealt with one transfer case failure. I understand that they do fail... but I would trust a used transfer case with 100k miles on it far more than I would trust a used engine, transmission, or rear end. Plus they can be found for pretty cheap. There are several in NC that can be found for 250 bucks, and they have around 100k-120k on them.

car-part.com allows you to search local junkyards. Replacing the transfer case is super simple... diving in the transfer case to rebuild it is not. Do what you wish but I would swap with a used.

Back