2002 mountaineer v8 speed and abs wheel sensor location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 mountaineer v8 speed and abs wheel sensor location

phoenix12321

Reaction score
City, State
Moorhead, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey, been a while since I last posted. I'm trying to find the location of the speed sensor and the and wheel sensor on my 2002 mountaineer awd v8. I bought both sensors and just need to find out exactly where they are and how hard it will be to change them. Diagrams and pictures are the best. All help is appreciated!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um in the front I believe they are part of the hub assembly and you have to replace the whole assembly.

In the rear it's on the top of the differential I believe.

Any pics or diagrams u can post showing the locations?

If the abs wheel sensor is part of an assembly, why was I able to buy the sensor separately?

Is this the part you're talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-970-264-Wheel-Speed-Sensor/dp/B00GJ1Q5US/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458686609&sr=8-1&keywords=dorman+abs+wheel+speed+sensor+970-264

This is the one that shows for my front wheels of my four wheel drive. I just ordered it, looks easy enough to install.

RockAuto has that for $62.99. I really wouldn't trust Dorman though.

MOTORCRAFT BRAB12 is $127.79 so you might as well buy a whole MOTORCRAFT HUB67 complete hub for $166.79

Hi Tech, so you think it would be a better way to go and replace the hub assembly? Mine are original factory parts -- never been touched. Would I be right in assuming the new hub assembly comes with the ABS speed sensor, and new wheel bearings?

Edit: this repair started due to my ABS light came on, it turned off when I stopped for gas. I used a connector with Forscan, and pulled codes c1155 and c1233. So I figured on replacing the abs speed sensor.

Hi Tech, so you think it would be a better way to go and replace the hub assembly? Mine are original factory parts -- never been touched. Would I be right in assuming the new hub assembly comes with the ABS speed sensor, and new wheel bearings?

Edit: this repair started due to my ABS light came on, it turned off when I stopped for gas. I used a connector with Forscan, and pulled codes c1155 and c1233. So I figured on replacing the abs speed sensor.

If you're on origional wheel bearings on a 2002 I would definitely check them.

Back