2002 Mustang fuel pump not commanded on... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mustang fuel pump not commanded on...

skpyle

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited 5.0 AWD
Hello Gentlemen,

Normally, I post about my 1999 Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD. This time, I have screwed up my wife's 2002 Mustang V6. :eek:

This goes back around 2 months. My wife doesn't drive her Mustang much anymore after getting a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. In mid-September, she found the battery dead. I charged it, it died again within a week. I spent the next month troubleshooting off and on, finally figured it out. Left Mach 460 amplifier was causing a 105mA current draw with the key off. Took care of that.

Now, the Mustang won't start. Did a bunch of troubleshooting. Finally determined that the fuel pump is not being commanded to turn on.

I will explain my troubleshooting:

During the troubleshooting for the battery drain, I disconnected and reconnected the battery many, many times. Fuses were pulled and replaced many times. I think I screwed something up in the ECM or PATS module.

Mustang No Start Troubleshooting Notes:

-battery fully charged each time worked on it
-battery voltage while cranking 10.43VDC
-no fuel pressure or liquid fuel at fuel rail test port at any time during attempting to crank
-cannot hear fuel pump run
-fuel pump inertia switch is NOT tripped
-NO codes, NO check engine light
-do not believe the PATS system is tripped. THEFT light flashes when it is supposed to with the key off, is NOT on in anyway with the key on
-tried to reset PATS system several times via the 'unlock driver's door with key, lock and unlock with fob' method. No change
-all fuses good
-at fuel pump connector under rear of car, key on engine off showed 12.01VDC. That is significant because the troubleshooting guide says it should be 10.5VDC or less. I believe the 12.01VDC is open source off the fuel pump controller module
-Jumped fuel pump directly from battery, it ran and sounded normal

-disconnected battery again for 5 minutes, reconnected, unlocked doors with fob. Engine started on the second try. Took the Mustang for a good, long drive. Back roads, freeway, start and stop. I mean start and stop as in city driving. I never shut the engine off. It ran like a top. Got home, shut the engine off.
Restarted engine, it ran OK, but I could sense something not right. Within a moment, it started running rough, then quit. Out of fuel. Fuel pump wasn't running.

-repeated troubleshooting of locking/unlocking/etc.. Fuel pump never ran, engine never started.
-removed air intake housing, found CCRM. did not feel it vibrating with the key on. Tried tapping on the housing, no change, fuel pump did not run.

I have not tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery again.
It acts like the PATS system as disabled the fuel pump, but it shows no codes or THEFT light. This car is one step from going to the dealer in shame. I have searched Google high and low, always come back to the PATS system.

So, for anyone still reading, do you have any advice you can offer?

Thanks for your time!

Seth K. Pyle

Back