• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT 4X4 not working

Reynolds1961

Reaction score
City, State
Chatham, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4X4
Nothing happens when I try to select either 4X4 High or 4X4 Low. No annunciator lights clicking sound or anything. I have checked all fuses and they are OK. Everything else on the vehicle appears to be working fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the relay under the hood? I believe there is one for 4x4 in the black box.

Is this relay located in the fuse box under the hood on the left side of the engine compartment?

It could possibly be a bad 4x4 module, which is located behind the glove box. I had to have mine replaced shortly after I bought my used '02. The symptoms were the same as yours, absolutely nothing happened when the buttons on the dash were pressed.

Reynolds1961 said:
Is this relay located in the fuse box under the hood on the left side of the engine compartment?

Yes.

3rd gen. are pretty bad for 4x4 module problems.

All relays appear to be fine. What does the 4X4 module look like and is it very difficult to get to? Is there any way to troubleshoot it?

Also, is this module easily replaced?

On the older models, the module is in the rear above the left side wheel well if I recall correctly. Not sure about the 2002+

it is behind your glove box push in on the sides and pull down
then it is on the left side as you look at it the rear hold down bolt is a
tough one

It ended up being the shift motor. Replaced it and all is well.

Back