• Register Today It's free!

1993 xlt Wont start. Help!

ron0429

Reaction score
City, State
Cape May County, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
So i drove to the gas station, filled up and went to turn my key and CLICK! The starter seemed to be acting strange for a week or so. One time i turned ignition and nothing only to take out key and try again and it started, but this time it just made a loud click. Took a hammer to the starter, no luck. Replaced the starter and the cellinoid and its still just making a loud click. I dont know what else could be the cause. Do you guys know what else it could be? any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

motor spins over when turned by socket the starter is engageing but the fly wheel doesnt wanna spin any ideas of wht it could be

There's a second solenoid in the starter. You're probably hearing the fender one click but not the starter one. A common issue is the brushes in the motor just wearing out or sticking and not making contact.

I'm assuming it's a bad connection (i.e corroded wire, very common on these)
Or possibly the alternator is bad and the battery doesn't have enough juice. Those are some things I would check. If the terminals look corroded get new ones and clean all that up good. That would be where I'd start.
Just did the same thing on my friends Explorer about a week ago.

Even if you find out that it's not a bad starter I would replace the starter now that you've hit it with a hammer. This is an old school get you home trick, not meant to repair problems. The inside of your starter is line with magnets. By smacking it with a hammer you risk cracking those magnets which is going to cause it to fail anyway.

Beyond testing your battery I would get a test light and check to see if you are getting power to the starter when you turn the key

turns out it was a bad connection from the positive terminal. Well atleast now ive got a new starter haha thanks for the help. if any of you are having same problem CHECK YOUR TERMINALS FIRST. i feel stupid bahaha

Back