2003 4.0L Idling Issue after week of sitting on slope | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0L Idling Issue after week of sitting on slope

ShanehSMP

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS 2WD
So this car is giving me headaches....Last week, both my front wheel bearings went. I tried fixing them but could not get them out. So I decided to leave them there til the weekend came and I had time to work on them again. So today I started the car (had to buy a new battery - no CCA's). Got that installed and the engine started, then died. Started, sputtered and died...finally got it to remain on by giving it gas...as I did this, black smoke was pouring out the back of the vehicle and I could smell fuel burning (running rich?). While I was looking in the engine bay, I noticed coolant sludge under the thermostat housing and oil residue near the drivers side head gasket; my coolant reservoir was also low. Anyhow, for the past week, I've had the car sitting on my sloped driveway (rear of the car at the bottom of the slope)....

The car drove and sounded fine last Sunday.....what does anyone think this could be? I'm going to borrow or purchase an engine code reader and see what the issue is......but could anyone let me know what they think it COULD be....I'm very close to driving this vehicle into a lake....

Thanks

Back