2003 Aviator tow rating

schadler

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT V8 AWD
Hi,

I just purchased a 2003 Lincoln Aviator, and while I know it's not an Explorer, it is basically one, and I have a question about tow ratings:

All the online tow guides list it as having a 7100 lb tow rating with 4wd and the tow package (which I do have). But when I asked the dealer what the tow rating was, she showed me the specs in the manual that said it tows like 5800#. Now, is that based on the non-tow package (3.55 gears), or does the extra weight of the Premium edition (with the larger air conditioning, etc) take it down to 5500#? I think what is in the owners manual is based on a stndard drive train...in other words, WITHOUT the tow package, but the non tow package V8 Explorers only tow about 3500#, so I don't know where the 5800# comes from.

Anyone know?

if you have the factory tow package (which includes the round 7 pin wiring connector and the 2inch reciever, and 3.73 gears) then you have the tow package, which should put your capacity around 7K lbs.

Many people mistake the standard equipment as the optional tow package (standard is the 1.25inch reciever and the flat 4 pin wiring connector and 3.55 gears) If you have those options your tow rating is limited to 3500 lbs.

Edit: I believe the 5800 lb limit is what a V6 explorer with tow package is rated to pull.

Back