• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer Engine Miss

drumsk

Reaction score
City, State
New York New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xls
I just installed a new 4.0 engine in my brothers 2003 ford explorer xls. He was driving along one day and one the piston decided to explode. So since my job deals with ford alot I decided to get a ford engine from the dealer. The engine has been installed to my knowledge I have attached all grounds (except maybe a chasis to engine ground)(trying to locate that one) So when I first started it up she seem to have a steady miss and even threw a check engine light... After checking it with my buds snap on computer we determined the #5 cylinder was misfiring. I went in and double checked it and found that the cable wasn't fully on. At first I thought it was the injector but when I pulled the plug out it was wet. So then I put it back to together and no codes.
Here's what its doing now.... engine starts up cold and doesn't seem to miss as it warms up it starts to develop a miss after driving, at a stop light in drive after about 10 sec. it begin to miss and shake.... I took the idle air control out no sign of carbon. all sensors are new on the engine except the crank sensor. The egr valve is old (when the engine was apart I put crc inside it and it didn't appear to leak threw)and the dpfe sensor and the actuator. All the injectors are original....
The old engine had 87000 miles on it. so I thought the injectors should be good. Does any one know if there is a chasis to engine ground and if so where is it located? All the wires and plugs are new and from ford.... I installed a new water pump as well and new o-rings on the injectors....
Currently it is not throwing any codes.... The only other problem is when I hard bump the idiot lights come on and go off.... originally I had a bad negative ground cable and the engine shut off on me a few times during a 30 minute drive...... I repaired that with a new cable..... but still cut out thought it may be the inertia switch....
Any help is appreciated

thanks in advance...
Kenny

fixed

the problem was a ripped spark plug wire grounding out on the exhaust gasket fixed that and it was all good:usa:

Back