2003 ford explorer sport trac the headlights turn on and off intermittently while idling in park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer sport trac the headlights turn on and off intermittently while idling in park

crscottjr

Reaction score
City, State
Manassas Park, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer SportTrac XLS
Hello members, I've noticed in my 2003 ford explorer sport trac the headlights turn on and off intermittently while idling in park. Also, sometimes the headlights turn off when I lock the doors with the remote, but most of time they do not and they stay on for quite awhile before turning off. Also, when I approach the entry gate at my job and attempt to turn the lights off, they stay on blinding the officers. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be daytime running lights or not. This vehicle is relatively new to me so maybe I just don't know how everything operates. Any help to resolve this issue will be greatly appreciated.

On your rear view mirror, on the bottom of it is there a slider switch? There is a auto headlight feature and the sensitivity is adjustable the slider is mounted on the windshields rear view
Mirror
When it’s dark outside the lights come on and you can adjust the sensitivity

Not sure if 03 tracks have that or not easy enough to check

Welcome to the forum!

Agree with 410Fortune, I'd also check for a rearview mirror slider first. If it's the issue try sliding it back and forth several times, though a "little" heat, like a hair dryer on low, might soften up hardened grease if that's the issue, then slide back and forth while the grease is warm.

If it weren't a mirror, I'd suggest using contact cleaner but I can't predict the effect of cleaner on these electronic dimming mirrors or the back silver coating so would avoid spraying anything in, maybe if it was taken apart but that would be my last resort before buying a new mirror, might not even come apart without breaking considering the age of the plastic.

More detail about headlight operation and timer-shutoff should be in your owners manual. Ford has a PDF download of that if you don't have the paper version... easier to search the PDF anyway...

On your rear view mirror, on the bottom of it is there a slider switch? There is a auto headlight feature and the sensitivity is adjustable the slider is mounted on the windshields rear view
Mirror
When it’s dark outside the lights come on and you can adjust the sensitivity

Not sure if 03 tracks have that or not easy enough to check
Thanks 410Fortune. I turned the auto headlights feature off and that resolved the issue.

Back