2003 Mountaineer 4.0 "check transmission" blinking O/D light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Mountaineer 4.0 "check transmission" blinking O/D light

coletrain777

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premiere
So I know there are a few threads similar to this running right now, just thought I would list my symptoms and see what you guys think. I have an 03 Mountaineer with 195K miles, 4.0 v6 awd. The vehicle seems to run/drive well with no erratic shifting, but after driving for 3 or 4 miles the "check transmission" warning comes on the info center, and the o/d light blinks. I can use the overdrive switch to turn on/off the overdrive and it works as it should. It seems to shift into overdrive even when the light is on, but it is soooo hilly in my area that I can't tell if the convertor is locking up or not.

The main problem I am having with diagnosis of the problem is that it is not storing a trouble code...? I thought that when the o/d light blinked that it stored a trans code, but I am unable to pull one with either my matco code reader or my torque app for my android phone.

I have another 03 mountaineer for parts (I own 2 03's, 1 04 (5.4 swap), and an 02 explorer), and if needed I can get a solenoid pack/converter out of it... but I want to diagnose the problem before I take the time to swap parts.

With all that said here's a few questions:

1. can someone give me the process of testing the solenoid blocks with an ohm meter?

2. What should I be looking for to help pinpoint the problem that I haven't mentioned?

3. Is there anything I can do to "force" the trans to store a code so I can get some direction :)

Thanks in advance for the help... Cole

Back