• Register Today It's free!

2003 Mountaineer problem's

dwatts2011

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer
I have a 2003 Mountaineer. It was running very rough, and the guy at Auto Zone said it was an vacuum leak. He took off the round air breather thing, and replaced a small hose. He said it was not the one it is suppose to have, but it would last until I could get one from Ford. I don't know what to ask for! I don't know what its called. can anyone tell me?

also, the message center that tells how many miles to empty and many other informational things has started flashing with different messages, (door open)when I first start the car. Is there a fuse for that?

also, the backup sensor, that beeps when you back up has quit doing that, now it just lights up, and I have to push off a few times to get the light to go off.

These are the only problems I have with this car, I love it and don't want to get rid of it!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Their is a chance you might need an instrument cluster for the light problems. Everything runs through Ford clusters and they do go bad. I have replaced a few in my days. It sounds like either a vacuum hose or a PCV Hose.

For the back-up sensors, go to www.car-part.com and look up a rear bumper assembly for your year/model. Search the entire country, don't limit it by state. If you go to the bottom of the page and click on the page number with the lowest price (should have a * next to the number) you can usually find junkyards that are selling the sensors only. I got 4 from a junkyard in Washington shipped to me for $60, I believe. It may have been less. I replaced all 4 sensors because I didn't know which one was bad, and the problem has never returned. I saved the old sensors in case I ever need to replace one again, I guess I'll have to play around with the old ones to see which one was bad.

- Mario

Or check eBay. Shouldn't be more than about $16 shipped

Two year old thread...

-Dubya

Oops. Saw recent post and responded

Back