• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT V6 Coolant Leak

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Just looking for some opinions. I already ordered a new thermostat housing setup from RA but wanted to inquire with a few questions regarding this leak to ease my mind that this is where the problem lies.

First off, all hoses are new and tight, new t-stat a year ago, all bolts on the housing are tight. I can see no cracks but the wetness does appear to be coming from to the side of the t-stat housing.

Question 1: Could the water pump possibly be leaking and maybe "squirting" fluid upwards and then running down onto the frame and lower parts in the engine? I haven't noticed any temperature fluctuation like is normally seen when the pump is starting to go bad. What are the telltale signs of a pump going bad in these vehicles, will I see movement of the gauge??

Question 2: I read about the intake leaking but believe that is on the v8's, correct???

Anyway, I'm going to replace the whole plastic housing and go from there. I'm just trying to get the ducks in line for the next step in case the leak is still present after this repair.

Back