2003 XLT V6 "Popping" Noises | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT V6 "Popping" Noises

03ExploKRV

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V6
The sound you hear after driving your vehicle for a while and its hot, you shut it off and hear the ticking/popping from the exhaust underneath is what I'm hearing off and on all the time. I had the left side cat changed as it had a pinhole but the tick/pop persists. Could a baffle within the muffler be the culprit? Maybe a heat shield somewhere? I checked the under body but found nothing visibly loose.

The sound you hear after driving your vehicle for a while and its hot, you shut it off and hear the ticking/popping from the exhaust underneath is what I'm hearing off and on all the time. I had the left side cat changed as it had a pinhole but the tick/pop persists. Could a baffle within the muffler be the culprit? Maybe a heat shield somewhere? I checked the under body but found nothing visibly loose.
On mine it was a heat shield. Definitely annoying, but not problematic, so I left it alone.

I thought heat shield myself but can't find anything loose under the truck. My mechanic said something about the transfer case being the culprit but where would I even begin on that?

Back