• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.0 V6 Transmission question

blackout881

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
I just upgraded from a 98 eddie bauer to a 2004 eddie bauer. Went from a V8 to a V6. I noticed in my new explorer (69k miles) when the transmission shifts it sort of feels like the truck slows down just a bit during the shift, almost like when driving a standard and shifting slow. It really doesnt feel like there is a problem, maybe its just the way it is suppose to be and im not used to it? It seems when I stay heavier on the gas during the shifts it doesnt do it and its smoother. This is sort of a stupid question I guess. I just know nothing about this explorer! my 98 I knew like the back of my hand. I must say, after 3 years driving a truck with a broken BLEND DOOR, I almost cried when i could control the temperature of the heat. lol. Any comments on other known problems with the 04 would be appreciated too. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

give it time you will learn as much about the '04 as you did the '98.
Actually this really sounds like the problem could be fixed with a new 'flash' or tune from the dealer. . . out of the factory a lot of drivers complained that 'it felt like someone was stepping on a clutch' or pauses when shifting gears,. . they came out with an update to tighten the shift points if you don't already have it. But slow shifting might also be an indication of the Valve body's or servo bores, going out.
i'd check and see if you have the update and maybe change the fluid and go from there. You should have a 5r55w with the V6.

I got 70k on mine '04 but a rebuilt trans at 53k. . .

I wish mine would still do that. I have been studying our transmission. Turns out, smooth shifting is bad. It is made by 'slipping'. The manual feel allows the clutch packs to stay cooler, and not burn the fluid either.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the blend door. My other vehicle has no working dome light or stereo... if i only had a heated flat shop space...

Shawn

Ok now i feel a little better about the feel of the transmission. I drove it about 100 miles so far and everything feels good and solid. And unlike my 98, the suspension actually works lol. I feel really bad for whoever buys my 98 next... I had constant problems with seals in the front and rear differential leaking. It started leaking really bad in the rear differential last week, so i decided to buy a new truck and drove it leaking for a week. The day i traded it in I dont think there was too much fluid in there, every time i stepped on the gas there was a loud clunk coming from under the truck. lol. I must say, the features in the newer eddie bauers dworf my 98 EB. Heated seats :D. I just wish it still had the instant MPG's in the message center, I liked that. Oh well, thats pretty much my only complaint! The truck is so clean everyones asking if it is an '09!

I wish mine would still do that. I have been studying our transmission. Turns out, smooth shifting is bad. It is made by 'slipping'. The manual feel allows the clutch packs to stay cooler, and not burn the fluid either.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the blend door. My other vehicle has no working dome light or stereo... if i only had a heated flat shop space...

Shawn
You are correct about the smooth shifting. It is programed or built into the valve bodies if my thinking is correct.
I remember back in the 80's I knew a lady who traded her Mercedes 300SD because it jerked while shifting. Those automatics would last 300k miles with regular maintenance.
On my 04 v-6 that I've had for 2 months I am noticing that if feels like the throttle is backing off a tad while shifting. Doesn't bother me if that is actually what is happening. I do not need a slipping tranny at this time.
Any shift kits available?

Back